Klipschorn 2way ? (Oris Horns)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Sunday, December 09, 2007, 19:30 (5976 days ago) @ seti

High Seti,

For several years I have quite enjoyed the bass horns of Klipschorns in a two way alignment with Oris 150 horns driven by AER MD3s. Before the AERs I used Lowther PM4s with AER cones. The AERs sound much better.

Instead of the purist/minimalist approach on crossovers you wish to pursue I have chosen to folliow a much different path. I biamplify with a DEQX PDC 2.6P digital preamp/crossover. In addition to other functions such as room correction, phase correction, etc. the DEQX provides it also allows me to achieve very precise time alignment between the Klipsch bass horns and the Oris horns despite the fact that the two horns for each channel are nearly two meters apart. This, of course, allows the bass horns to be properly placed in corners and the Oris horns to be placed out in the room for best imaging and diminished room interaction. I haven't tried it, but I suspect that placing the Oris horns atop the Klipschorns back in a corner would seriously compromise their sonics.

I realize my arrangment is not what you are planning to put together, but hopefully you find find at least something in this epistle to be of interest. My Klipsch bass horns and Oris 150 horns blend very seamlessly and provide a marvelously detailed, transparent, dynamic, nonfatiguing, musical and emotionally involving system.

Good Listening,
Don Reid

P.S. I wish you the very best of luck in your search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread