How low does it go ? (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 03:22 (5979 days ago) @ Bert

Actually, I can't play them. Bad for the house, the nerves, and

everything.

Why? :confused:

Because -somehow- when albums really are about showing off sub lows they do that so excessively that nothing can be heard and only be felt. So, either when it's about a 4 minute track that goes humpf humpf all the time for a "rythm", or has constant tones in the inaudible area, it's about shaking the house only. Besides that, any humpf for a rythm is so "slow" for decay (the house needs a couple of 100 of ms to die out) that this is not about music anymore.
All is unlike with movies, where e.g. a bomb goes together with a decay you can visualize (a blast just doesn't last 50ms). So, it appears to me there's just no "music" in that area and all what you hear is, say, fake.

Besides all it really is dangerous. "The house is shaking" is no joke. It really happens, and with powers unheard. Also note that with constant - or slighly vibrating tones, the whole lot can go into a resonance being GC times stronger than the base SPL.

Maybe someone can do the math on the actual power (expressed in bhp :cool:) that's going on with, say, 100dB SPL @ 16 Hz. I mean, I myself wouldn't be able to move a massive door of 300x93x3.7cm 16 times per second back and forth in their sleeves, let alone the 8 doors around my living room doing that all together, including the veranda outside which must weigh 10,000 Kg at least, the only thing being able to move that being the house itself.

GC's story is true, I'm sure (I think I even recall the event).

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread