Some questions about bass integration and XOs (Oris Horns)

by robmatthew @, Thursday, December 20, 2007, 05:11 (5944 days ago) @ PeterSt.

I really was not going to enter this, but I was an early adopter of the DEQX. I bought one of the first DEQX units to come into the US through Andre Perreault of E-Speakers. I have had three others since then including the latest fully loaded with both balanced and digital outputs. I have built and tested literally dozens of speakers over the last several years using the DEQX. I agree with Don Reid that there is a real learning curve, but once you know what you are doing, setting up speakers becomes almost automatic.

On the other hand, a poorly measured and corrected DEQX system can sound dull or just plain "wrong." You really do need to spend some time learning how to measure and correct your system or you can really make a mess.

Now,I never wanted the DEQX to work! I always wanted to believe that straight analogue and/or minimal processing would always be better. I really do not like complicated systems but they always seem to sound better, IMO.

With the DEQX you do not need to add A/D conversions. You feed it directly from the digital out of your CD transport, nor do you need to use the built-in DACs of the DEQX if you get the digital output version. I feed mine right into Monarchy Audio 24 bit DAC's. Of course, SACD and vinyl require A/D conversion but that is done at 24/96 so the sound is very good. BTW, I am certainly not an expert like some others here, but I think the value of the powerful SHARC processor is to handle the huge amount of computations necessary to correct phase, delay and amplitude response of a three way system. Also, there is plenty of power to handle future high bit rate inputs.

Finally, I have to say that my DEQX corrected systems always sound better than they do without the unit. That includes both my ORIS 150/Klipsch Belle/ Velodyne DD-18 system and my Supravox OB field coil system.

I am not in any way being negative about systems which are LC based. For years I used passive LC filters in front of my amps or built into the amps for their required frequency ranges. I can only say that in my setup and experience they do not sound as good as the DEQX unit that I use now. I have very good measurement equipment for FFT analyses which I use for traditional network development since I do think that one can waste a lot of time attepting to tune a system by ear. Much of that work could be accomplished in a relatively short time if one would measure first.

Please accept my comments as one person's experience, although I do agree with Don Reid.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread