Some questions about bass integration and XOs (Oris Horns)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Thursday, December 20, 2007, 18:28 (5966 days ago) @ GC

Just another aspect about digital gear in general:
I think everybody agrees, that there are sonic differences between top-class solid state preamplifiers. Which means, that they are maybe very good, but still have faults, if you look for the absolute optimum. Electronically, there is not much about a preamplifier: Input switching, the äquivalent of two op-amps ( integrated, or discrete, maybe more if there is a balanced/unbalanced conversion) and volume control. Of course the case, connectors and power supply.
Good preamps cost easily above 10 k $ or €. Even if you cut off half the price for a shiny case and a well reputated "name" - a good preamplifier is expensive and even than does some alterations to the signal.
Now if You place some digital equipment in the signal path - it will, on the analouge side have more than two op-amps (input to A/D, I/V conversion and output) - alone that, will degrade the signal to some extent.
Than normally, these digital units are well below the mentioned 10 k of a preamp. So there will be a minor case, connectors and powersupply.
Even, if the digital side works absolutely flawless, there will be losses.
So I try to avoid those digital units in the signal path.
Of course in a special setup it can be an improvement, if the digital side is doing more advantage, than the analouge loss, it´s still a benefit.
So it depends very much on the specific set-up you have.
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread