Digital EQ (Off Topic)

by Sjef @, Saturday, December 22, 2007, 02:14 (5964 days ago) @ GC

I think I have said this a couple of times before but read my lips, you guys are all going to use some form of digital xo/eq somewhere in the next few years once you will discover the disadvantages of analog filtering. All the complains here sound to me like history repeating. Digital xo/eg is just a complete new way of looking at things and needs a complete new learning curve to get the best out of it, many commercial solutions are doing it only halfway at the moment but things will change for sure.

before judging on anything that messes around with bits just start to realize what the oh so many disadvantages of linkwitz/bessel/butterworth etc filtering are compared to phase linear (when executed the right way) then you will find out that there simply doesn't excist a way of excecuting a analog filter the right way. And before judging any form of eq just realize that a crossover like the one used in the oris system IS a equalizer and also realize that a perfect listening room DOES NOT excist, eq can help here and that is in fact also what yoy guys are doing with crossover tweaking as well. In my room the implementation of a digital xo/eq has made some improvements wich I simply couldn't achieve with better speakers/amps/playbacksystem/acoustics treatments, specially the low end has improved tremendously and with the low/end the whole presentation of the music has also improved a lot. Digital xo/eq is not a cure for all and it has disadvantages as well I know (those thamn opamps again, the first thing you will have to get rid off) I also know that it will take you about forever to get it right, just trying it on a afternoon says nothing, it will take you months, yes much more time than with analog filtering.

And what the use of bit perfect when the rest of the system is not "analog perfect" anyway, messing with bits can make the system more "analog perfect"

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread