Digital EQ (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Saturday, December 22, 2007, 10:16 (5963 days ago) @ Sjef

And before judging any form of
eq just realize that a crossover like the one used in the oris system IS a
equalizer and also realize that a perfect listening room DOES NOT excist,
eq can help here and that is in fact also what yoy guys are doing with
crossover tweaking as well.

Hi Sjef,

All together things are so complicated that it has become sheer impossible to know evrything - or think of everything at the same time.
The quote above does not take into account that room correction is not needed.

(Btw Bert, it doesn't help much that all threads are torn apart.)

If we assume that we all hear as well (why not), then apparently it is your idea Sjef, that room correction is needed, while at the same time it is my (and a few others') idea that room correction is not needed at all.
Please note the reference to GC's room (but my own would be an example just the same) of a room being far from optimal for listening conditions, while the "corrections" needed just were applied by ... good playback means.

Again, we hear as well, and you apparently did not have the experience yet.
Of course it is too hard to believe it is so, but why not trust me as a person hearing as well as you yourself.

By now there is sufficient proof that a room with a bad response, derived from playback (and not from measuring !) shows this bad response because of poor playback means. The most important (as by my experience) is impedance problems, or IOW that shows best how reverberations, sibilance, standing waves - emerge in a room without the room being guilty. Oh yes, you can start decorating the room all over to get rid of the anomalies, but the point is ... it's the wrong treatment. It's the wrong treatment as long as playback means can solve it just the same.

It is hard to explain ... Besides impedance problems, a wrongly tuned xover can cause the anomalies, a not so good amp can, and a not the best player can. In fact it is the latter which does the most to it all, or better : I can guarantee that when you have room problems and your equipment is right (impedance matches) it's the player doing it to you (with a small chance it's the speakers).

I do not say that each room will behave the same, but I do say that a room should not be decorated to solve "room problems".
What this comes down to, is that no room-correction is needed at the equipment side. Might it be digital or analogue, it is not needed.
The very last thing that would be happening, is that "we" would tweak rooms by means of xover settings. Oh, you saw me say similarly above, but different : the xover must be just GOOD. Good = good from theories, and not good for a room or something like that.

The best of it all (the theory that a room doesn't harm) is that it can be used as a means to check the playback chain. When the room responds wrongly, go and search for problems in the playback chain. I GUARANTEE that a problem can be found. Since I apply this theory, it always worked ... (and not only by myself, but also with GC as THE example with his large undecorated wooden floor room).

Peter

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread