Digital EQ (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Saturday, December 22, 2007, 10:56 (5963 days ago) @ GC

Hey GC,

I am not sure that a room correction made by tweaking it with furnitures,
bookshelves, pillows and carpets caNot make it up for room anomalities. I
think such things can help.

Oh yes, they will. But how to judge whether they were the thing to apply. I mean, how to judge whether / when the playback chain is optimal (and ehh, what was optimal 3 months ago is obsolete today, right ?)

So you could grab your blanket over the lamp picture (it must be here somewhere) as the example. Did it help ? yes. But when did it help ? when things were still wrong / not optimal. Was it needed when things were optimal (at that time) ? NO !
We even OPENED curtains ...

But of course you are right, but to my theories this will be so when other things are still wrong.

We could also turn things the other way :
Bert's room is rather optimized. The sound coming from it certainly is different. At aspects we could say it is better. At other aspects maybe just not. Then, you could say this is personal or subjective. On the other hand you could say that a room is ALLOWED to create the sound. This is IMO similar to your expression that clapping your hands etc. will never disturb to the matter of unnatural sounding hand clapping. That an echo is there in your room, and no echo is there in another's (like Bert's) is another matter.
What it is about, is that the echo belongs to the room you listen in, and that to my findings (over and over again) such an echo (most probably not in the recording obviously) caNot harm. BUT : it is the most obvious - and known to the world, that those same echo's "will" create room anomalies like standing waves (not only with bass but also in the highs). The "will" is between quotes, because exactly that is not true. Not anymore.
But indeed, detariorate one part of the chain, and they are back ...

Peter :cool:

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread