A quick test... (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Sunday, December 23, 2007, 09:49 (5968 days ago) @ Bert

If I would take the time to get a DEQX here and connect it within my
system without using any EQ (just power it on and have all DSP settings
disabled) and I can already hear a degrade, would that prove my first
point?

Strangely enough, that sounds unfair (and a tad inconstructive, but that's more phsychics I think).

So what would come from this ? the DACs of the DEQX are worse compared to a general stand alone DAC of the same price, and it's oversampling as well so all our Yello albums can be thrown out.

See, now such a device lost in advance. It can be predicted, and btw it WILL be so. But then ... this is not fair. This would not be about the net result. This would not be about other aspects of Yello and all possibly coming forward. This would not be about squeezing all out of the digital xovers, which needs (mucho) experience on the device (as it seems).

But Don, please ... listen do this too :

I know Bert is not about the real life examples to kind of prove statements, where I just am;
Some eight months ago there was this day that both Bert and me called the distributor of the DEQX in Holland. In fact we both arranged for such a device, just for trying it out. Coincidentally we came together on that day and we learned from eachothers' intentions. We talked for hours about how to set it up, and we came to the conclusion that theoretically it was not possible.

The latter is about the 16 bit processing the DEQX would apply which really is nothing to hope for results. Even with 24 bits and a digital volume only, the sound gets so much degraded that there's *really* no hope for a better net result.
The least it would need is 32 bit digital input, hence a player that would output that. So we talked about adjusting GC to that, which just can be done.
Note for those who come up with it : E.g. Foobar can do it.
... But what to do if you don't like the sound of Foobar at all (as how we percieved that at that time).

Now, all together - and that's how complicated it is - Bert's suggestion of just connecting the DEQX *is* legit, because the potential remainder of it all will fail anyway. That is, unless you are able to justify DSP in the 16 bit domain or chose Foobar as your player ...
(please note that this would come to a similar decision as throwing the 6K CDP out, and use a $100 instead to let the DEQX work -> hard to decide for).

What the DEQX discussion comes down to, is that actually the device itself flaws. It flaws for its processing with a number of bits that equal to the input.
This is unrelated to the DSP subject itself ... :yes:

Oh well ...
Let me finish with that it may be not the best idea to point out how people should listen (more) to live instruments, because IMHO the gang overhere is too profesional to not do - or interpret like that. Remember, this (work) is not about setting up the best system for our own room ... it is about creating the best elements (for any room). Might you not have noticed, I for one plain buy the instruments in order to compare. :grin:

And then the biggest bang : in my room I listen to complete live instruments from the audio playback chain. This by itself is dangerous to say, because 5 months ago I already said it, but it still improved. But mind you, 6 months ago I sure was not. Now :
Anyone being sure that he is listening to live instruments (start with the cymbals !) and using DSP (needed to get there or not) is entitled to tell the other to improve (by whatever means). But be very careful that you indeed listen to these live instruments ... and that your jaw won't drop when listening at my place (or Bert's for that matter).
I know how dangerous it is to say all this, but might it be true in *your* eyes (ears hehe), you know that DSP is not needed.

But let's start with your own interpretation of your live sound. You know mine now ...

Peter

PS: Sorry for blund statements, but I'm honest anyway.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread