Analogue perfection vs. DEQX perfection (Off Topic)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Sunday, December 30, 2007, 17:10 (5961 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hallo Pater!

Quote:
To summ it all up :
With unprocessed (and good) playback means, the size of the recording room caNot (will not) be bigger than the room you are listeing in;
The smaller the listening room, the less recording rooms you will be able to listen to for reality (you'll miss out on the larger rooms).
When you have really large rooms for playback (like a church), things will go the other way around : the small recording room will start echoing indeed.

Myself I had several different experiences with real good systems. Of course depending on the record, the preceived soundstage can be bigger than the listening room. In all cases it were completely analouge systems, without any processing.
The experience happened as well with electrostats ( The big Sond-labs) conventional Speakers ( Vernissage Echnaton, Avalon, Kharma) as also with a horn- based system, I´m using now.
How much is lost during recording and reproduction, I experienced quite stunning in the mid-eightys:
In my rather large listening room, I removed my speakers and placed there an amateur-band, to produce a demo. In the listening position I had a Jecklin-disk with two tube NeumaGC microphones. That output run straight into a studio Telefunken open reel recorder. Only vocals were recorded later and mixed to that signal.
When the recording of the music was done, I left the recording gear on. During clearing up, somebody dropped a hi hat in the front left corner, and afterwards went, speaking to the right rear corner of the room.
When I put my speakers back in the room and played back the recording. That movement could be heard exactly, which mens you heard that guy moving and speking behind you in the rear right corner. Only two speakers in front were used for reproduction.
Such kind of real 3 d room information is very seldom found on "normal" record. But the impression of a wider soundtage than the room size happens quite frequently. My listening room is 4,5 x 6 m 3 m hight, accoustically treated. The perceived soundstage can start two meters in front of the speakers, about 10 m wide and 8 m deep. Of course that perception is very subjective and anybody can of course argument, its "wishfull thinking"
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread