What about noise ... (BD-Design)

by Flecko @, Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 22:14 (5923 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi Peter,
last week I had an amplifer for trial listening at home and although I didn't kept it I must say the nois was ultra low. With my Ciare HX201 in Berts Oris150 (about 103dB) I realy heard absolutly nothing even if I held my ears directly to the speaker. This was the case if I turn down my poti. When I turn it up at 50% appears a audible noise wich was hearable directly at the speaker but not bothering at all when I listen to music. Do you use a poti or transfomer or do you control the volume digital? If the last is the case you can get down your noise by using a poti or transformer(I say this, although I guess you know it). Another source of noise, if your amp is quiet, could be the power source of your dac. The batteries produces also a (perhaps realy tiny)noise wich can be short cutted by placing a small capacitor parallel. I used a small elko and a glimmercap. The values were optimised by Mr. Hartwig(THEL) but I don't remember it :(. If you like to try I can look next time when I open my dac (will be soon).
That the digital source is responsible for the noise you and me are hearing is of course a good point. I never thought about this, but as you tell (and prove) , it is absolutely reasonable. I mean our digital sources are, compared to the rest of the chain, "low cost" equipment. But there is nothiGCg on the market to do I better.
Greetings Adrian

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread