SE OTL amps for high eff. speakers? (Off Topic)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Wednesday, April 02, 2008, 23:11 (5861 days ago) @ anubisgrau

Hallo!
I just want to bring up some theoretical aspects: First it depends, which speaker You want to drive. Fullrange?
I think it could become an interesting discussion, if an output - transformer or an output - capacitor gives more negative influence to the sound reproduction.( speaking here of "ideal" components, not real ones)
My Opinion is, that a single ended valve design should only have one output tube. In case You like the advantages of SET, you allways will lose some, by paralleling output tubes.
To have an OTL - Design You need a relatively big capacity. Even these capacitors also have some inductance and you need to connect several in paralell. It would be very interesting, to learn if they or transformers do more damage to the sound.
The rest of the link reads very promising, especially the part about the power supply.
Of course there are also a lot of other factors in a design. I´ve heard the old FuttermaGC amps ( not SET) and I found at that time transformer designs like Jadis more convincing. The amps You mentioned I haven´t heard jet, so my input is only of theoretical nature.
Best regards
Stephan

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread