Go out and have a listen... (Drive Units)

by Bert @, Monday, April 06, 2009, 11:56 (5492 days ago) @ chaos

Hi Chaos,

Thank you Bert for your reaction. But how harsh: no Bicor at all and I've got an amplifier that doesn't fit with a Lowther. Is there any other full range unit I can use with my amplifier (mentioned above)? Or do I have to buy another amplifier? Bert, what's your advice in my case?

As said before, you should go and have a listen to a Lowther first to get the feeling/idea. It might even work okay for you to have a Lowther in a Bicor using your present amplifier...and if not at once then some "issues" can be cured for a more balanced sound.

A Lowther can be magical and if you are sensitive to that part (mostly in the midrange) then it does not matter much if there is hardly any bass present but if you're not too sensitive to that then it could be horrible. In that case you need to do more to get more out of it which can be done with a larger horn system, with a separate bass system (open panel principle) or even load the driver with an Oris horn and active bass system to get the most out of it.

It is all about balance and the person listening but I am sure your amplifier will fit somewhere in combination with many loudspeakers (possibly even a Lowther depending on the loading) but to my ears and present audiophile level (see my showroom) then a single Lowther in a Bicor does not meet my personal standards.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread