Pictures! (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Monday, July 20, 2009, 12:34 (5366 days ago) @ samoore

Hi Steve,

Looks really good! So, tell me. What is the philosophy behind this speaker? What does it offer that the Orphean does not? What application would you suggest that it be used for that the Orphean will not fulfill?

Thanks...and so many questions! :wink:

The one thing that the Orphean (or any other front horn loaded system) will not do is to give you "freedom" of sound or "freedom" to listen to music anywhere you like.

For pop, rock, jazz and similar music it is more fun to listen to front loaded horn systems as this brings you very close to the musicians making it all very exciting. With classical or other related music recorded in rather big places this "closing in" feeling is to me less attractive, here a good integrated open panel system places you better within the same space (virtually being there) and not like you are standing in the doorway.

In very large listening rooms where you can take enough distance from the system then front horns can have freedom just as well but then still, it will never sound as free as an open panel system but the limited power will bring open panels into problems when these have to play in very large rooms.

To sum it up, I think that we all should have two loudspeaker systems. One for the excitement (like a roller coaster) and to be able to hear every little detail and another one to relax...

In my studio I will always have my "no limit" system (the Swing) and at home I will have my Diamonds to relax together with my wife so that I can enjoy all sorts of music optimally.

I hope this answers your questions.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread