Digital EQ? (Off Topic)

by Telstar, Sunday, August 02, 2009, 18:45 (5379 days ago) @ Bert

There's a BIG difference between electronic equalization and digital EQ, Bert. The only drawback is that you are limited to THE only source (the computer). I'm totally against a double (which is truly triple DA/AD/DA= conversion.

Digital EQ is even worse than electronical EQ and for the reason you give (DA/AD/DA) but also for other things.

I dont do double conversion. I run the equalization in the computer before going to the DAC. Some analog filters caNot be simulated, but it is possible to do things that caNot be done in analog (i.e. very high orders without any sound degradation or phase shift). I use a 96dB highpass for the Hemps, which relieves them completely of handing low freqs, where they distort a LOT. That and a 4db notch at 3k really did wonders.

One major problem always present is the PC's clock which is not stable at all,
welcome jitter in its worst "sounding" situation...

Most people wonder where the term "Digital Sound" comes from...

This is an interesting explanation. CDP can sound as "digital" as a computer, but generally they sound better. Why? I think it's because of the interface. That's the real bottleneck of computers used a source.
A pci/pci-e internal card has theoretically the lowest jitter, but having the DACs in all that polluted environment is far from ideal.
I think that the "digital sound" comes from the delta-sigma conversion of most of the current DACs. Most people just cant hear high frequencies and they dont feel it at all. ;)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread