Positioning Oris 150 (BD-Design)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Saturday, September 05, 2009, 08:17 (5337 days ago)

Hi Bert et alii,

I have been listening to Oris 150 horns driven by AER MD3s since 2004 with great enjoymemnt and satisfaction. If I remember correctly your recomendation of positioning of the horns for best imaging was such that the axis of the two horns/drivers would cross above the head of a listener seated in the central sweet spot. After trying various positions of the horns this is the placement I selected. I made a jig to hold the laser gunsight off my assualt rifle so that its beam projects along the axis of the horn/driver combination This allows me to position the two Oris horns with great precision.

I have two quick easy questions. Is this still your preferred positioning of Oris horns, and how far above the listeners head should the axis of the two horns be when they cross? My listening chair is about 4.5 meters away from the Oris horns if that is relevant.

In years past I would have answered these questions for myself by listening, but I have sustained a hearing loss which maskes that an unreliable method now. I am going to have a few members of our informal local audiophile club over to hear some new folded corner horns woofers I built to use with the Oris, and I would like for the combination to make as good a first impression as possible.

Thanks in advance fopr your help.

Adios,
Don

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread