Quasar mkII (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 09:38 (5106 days ago) @ xero

Hi Xero,

as you and no doubt others have seen, there has been increased interest
in the concept of the 'open baffle design'. many of which use a active crossover /
driver management / room correction package for proper implementation.

I will always be against this "hype" to "correct" room problems by digitally manipulating the original signal.

It is impossible to correctly correct a room this way, the room (the real problem) will always be unchanged afterwards.

It is like applying make-up to an ugly person having a weird figure at the same time which will always be fake and hardly optimal. Using make-up on a beautiful lady and make her look even better...that might be what people should look for if they want things to be optimal.

Of course this only will improve things if the person applying the make-up is knowledgeable enough to make it work, if not then the net result will always be worse than the original.

One example is a standing wave. You can recognize such resonances very easy as the sound appears to be in your head (pressurizing your ears) instead of the sound emitting from the speakers towards you.

Lowering the amplitude of this frequency (and phase, timing, whatever...) will only lower the amplitude, it will never take away the pressure from your ears and make the sound emitting as if it actually comes from the speakers..., it is not curing the problem itself and THAT is what you should be looking for.

Curing such problems can be done properly as I did in my own room:

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=16140

This leaves the original signal untouched without an extra polluting device in my system's signal path...:cool:

Another example are reflections of the sound in your room, how to cure these with a digital device? Just lowering the amplitude in the frequency range where the sound got stronger due to those reflections or cancellations?

Correcting a loudspeaker and optimize its drivers to better performance is something different but then still, it is not the holy grale or the only thing that matters...

It is just a tool helping and only a few people actually do recognize the real problems which need to be cured. Most people just leave the EQ-thing do its work and actually think that this gives them the optimal settings...

Yeah, sure...like all those computerized simulated loudspeaker systems, as if those sound okay. :fishy:

A lousy sounding driver will never sound more than okay either just by manipulating its amplitude and related phase/timing and a 300 grams woofer diaphragm will still be a 300 grams woofer diaphragm after optimizing!

I am glad that I do NOT need such devices for my speakers as these are being beautiful on their own already, even without make-up.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread