Quick questions for an Oris 150 setup (BD-Design)

by dkalsi, Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 18:54 (5091 days ago)

All,

I am in the process of building a super budget Oris horn system. I have two quick questions:

1) Is there a general consensus on what is the best-value budget driver for the Oris 150 horn (by budget, I mean no more than $500/pair max). If so, please indicate which driver.

2) Has anyone every tried the JBL 2245 driver for bass duty? The driver is very well respected at the Lansing Heritage forums and was used in the much respected JBL 4345 studio monitors (a favorite amount the collectors). In the JBL 4345 system, the 2245H driver was crossed at about 290hz. Many felt that 290hz was too high of a frequency to cross the 18" driver while others felt it transitioned seamlessly to the 10" JBL 2122H. If used with the Oris 150 set-up, I will obviously be crossing it around 150hz. The JBL 2245H is rated at 95db efficiency and more specs can be found here.

The reason why I am inquiring about the JBL 2245H is because I had the opportunity to listen to the Bass Reference cabinet and was not very happy with it's performance (-I hope I am not offending anyone by saying that - it is just a matter or personal taste).

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
D

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread