Good idea but... (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Thursday, July 08, 2010, 14:05 (5013 days ago) @ Hifido

Hi Hifido,

If using the ATS cabinets. Is it still necessary to use a dedicated amplifier for the bass cabinets?

It would be most convenient changing parameters and tuning towrds your taste and room conditions.

Could you supply cross-over parts?

No problem but I will not have any idea what to send you if you want optimal results. I do not have those ATS enclosures to play with so I can't give any suggestions that would help.

Get a plate amp with built-in crossovers and subwoofer features and you'll make it work.

You mention alternative bass drivers may be used. Could you recommend suitable choice for these cabinets in my small space? I can get BMS & BEYMER and others over here in North America.

I would suggest the BD15's but any other quality 15" driver with low moving mass (Mms) and strong motor will work well I think...

Which Version of the 250 horn would be best. For my situation 8" or 5" drivers?

This depends on the drivers you have in mind for them. For budget situations I would use the 6.5" FE166E's (with EQ these play downwards to 180Hz!).

I am going to experiment soon with the new Lowther DX65 drivers too to see what these can do for me. Not the cheapest drivers but I do expect to get the most dynamical full-range driver configuration with this combination AND a relative low crossover frequency AND relative small size for going all the way down to at least 200Hz... :cool:

If this works out as expected then this could be a nice upgrade to replace your FE166E's in the future.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread