Plate amps... (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Saturday, July 17, 2010, 09:18 (5030 days ago) @ Hifido

I will be building the ATS corner horn bass speaker cabinets Can anyone advice me on how much damping is required in the cabinet. And were it should be placed?

Good! ;-)

I do not think you will need any damping material in the small space as high frequencies will not be played by the system and most damping material starts to do some effective work above 300Hz anyhow.

Also I plan to use plate amps to drive the bass drivers 1 per side. Can any one suggest the best type/ make for this purpose?

Gasper's suggestions seems an okay one but it has one problem (basically all have the same problem) and that is the crossover frequency which is usually 150-180Hz at the most. This migth be too low for your future Oris 200 system which is crossing at 220Hz...

Gasper uses the Oris 150 horns... :yes:

Nevertheless it might work out well anyhow but if not then you'll have to modify the plate amp's crossover section to make it cross higher in frequency.

Usually this is done by replacing one or 2 resistors (if replacable!) but you'll have to know which ones and with what value and then be able to check it's renewed range.

I could do that but I do not have those specific plate amps here at my place to see if that will be possible. You could ask the supplier?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread