Oris prospect/smaller bass system (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 21:12 (4909 days ago) @ Veleik

Dear Veleik,

Welcome and thanks for your interest in the Oris system... :cool:

I'm thinking of starting out with a FE206E-based system, but I'd like to keep my options open for upgrading the driver along the way. The 200 is smaller than the 150, and for me this is a good thing, so I'd prefer to go with the 200. Does this limit my options in the future, or could I still upgrade to AER/Lowther at a later point?

Just to inform you, the Oris 200 is not available anymore (only perhaps as second hand). This horn is replaced for the Oris 250 which is also smaller than the Oris 150 (54cm in diameter). For 8" drivers I would suggest to go for the Oris 150's though, these will be the least compromise and can serve Fostex (the FE206E) but also Lowther and AER (basically all 8" types of these brands work wonderful in the Oris 150.

The Oris 250 is more suitable (less compromising) for smaller drivers (FE166En or the Lowther 45/55-series).

For the bass system I'd like something smaller than the 15" option provided by BD, maybe a 12", providing a narrower front. Does anyone have some ideas of a suitable 10"-12" driver that could suit the Oris? It would be nice if the price isn't higher than for the BD-15 system.

You could check with AES in Germany who offer a smaller bass system that seems to work well with the Oris horns.

I have a Bryston 14BSST amp (500-600W), could this amp be an option as a dedicated bass amp, or is it too powerful for high efficiency bass drivers?

Better too much than too little, you dictate how much power you give them by means of the volume control.

Finally, I have a Lyngdorf DPA-1 pre/processor/electronic XO. Could this be used for electronically integrate the bass and horns without needing a passive XO?

I have no idea about the quality that could be maintained with such a device device as I do not have any experience with it but if it is a crossover then you can use it instead of a passive XO.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread