Diamonds (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Sunday, October 30, 2011, 20:46 (4555 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

It is good to give each of the Diamonds its own character. The dynamic - but not completely clean - sounds more like my taste.

Indeed it is a rather different character but more tamed and more correct than people are used to hear from Lowther in general...

Interesting those DX65. Can you give an idea about the sound difference of these compared to a 8" DX or 8" PM A? What was the reason to go for the baby-Lowther?

The DX65 is on paper the most dynamic driver from the Lowther range (using a DX4 motor) and having less moving mass and that is an interesting fact to explore further...

I also needed a smaller full-range driver for the smaller Oris 250 with 6" throat and therefore I used the "baby" Lowther but do not be fooled by its size... :swoon:

Anyhow, the driver was waiting for more tests and why not use them in the smaller Diamonds! Just as they are is not something I want people to swallow or adapt because it is just not right (way too much midrange!) so I had to design a notch for it and now it is the most smooth and best sounding Lowther driver of all I know without getting dull or lame, it even makes the 8" Lowther drivers sound a bit "weird"...

Differences between used magnet materials will be the same as know for the 8" drivers giving their own character.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread