DIY Orelo (Orelo/Orelino)

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 10:24 (4109 days ago) @ Atilsley

Hi Andrew,

1. If only two drivers per side are used, do you need to put a 'top' on the bass horn? (I would use a mid horn mounted on top if so.) Sort of like the horn in this pic.

You could do that but this will give a boost in the midbass which should then be EQ-ed out for an even response.

2. You mentioned the Altec 416 woofer would work OK. I already have two new ones from Great Plains, so I'd need two more. Is this because it is a low q driver? Are there many differences between this driver and the specs of the BD woofer?

I do not have the spec's of your driver but the design is not related to the parameters of the used driver. The better quality (soundwise) the better result in the end. The design is acting as a sort of magnifying glass, it is not a true horn.

3. What is the depth, height and width of the 'half' horn?

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=17017

4. How do I calculate the horn flare?

Its not a horn, it is a wave guide without loading at the rear. It is therefore not as efficient as a true horn but in return you'll have a bass free of colourations and a lot less room boundairy problems with twice the efficiency as a simple flat open baffle system.

5. Can I run the horn up to 800Hz cleanly?

If the driver is capable and if the surface in front (horn throat) equals the driver then yes.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread