Oris 150 Horns Questions (BD-Design)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Wednesday, October 02, 2013, 17:53 (3852 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hey Kevin,

I used the bass bins of a pair of Klipschorns with Oris 150s driven first with Lowther PM4s then with AER-MD3s for years. I still play the Oris 150s but with different bass corner horn capable of much deeper bass.

From the beginning I have used a digital signal processor for crossover, speaker correction, room correction time and phase correction, etc. Presently I use the DEQX HDP-3 for this purpose. Counting horn length inside the corner bass horns plus the physical separation between the bass horns and Oris horns the distance between the woofers and the AER drivers is 4.94 meters. Using the DEQX time correction I can adjust this so the the arrival time of the sound waves from the two drivers are as though their acoustic centers are 3mm or less apart. I wouldn't consider trying to use the Oris horns ideally located out in the room with bass corner horns back behind them without the ability to somehow correct for the time mismatch.

The best of success and good listening with your project. After forty years of building and buying different speaker systems I have been quite satisfied for over a decade with my three way horn system built around the Oris horns.

Don Reid

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread