Got the Hypex amps working.......The Hummm is really bad ... (BD-Design)

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, November 07, 2013, 15:42 (3816 days ago)
edited by Bert, Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 16:31

After a day or so of making cables, I got to test out the Hypex amps this morning. They sound good enough, except for the hummmm coming out of the speakers. It's not noticeable during most music, except for the quiet passages.

There is no hum with my 45 amp (1.8 watts per channel) which I am using as input to the hypex. I can turn on my 45 amp and it is dead quiet at idle with no music playing at all. As soon as I power up the Hypex and the preset 1 light turns green a Hum kicks in, which is not tolerable for me. I tried lifting the ground of the hypex momentarily, to see if I had introduced a ground loop, but the hmmmmm remained.

I have very little hum running the Marchand Crossover with my 2a3 Tube amps on the bass bin. They sound quite nice.

I've chased hum before in stereo systems before and it's not easy to get rid of. It's not looking too good right now for the hypex amps. Some people I know can live with Hummm, I am not one of them. I listen to female vocals and Jazz Trios that often have quiet passages. Having hummmm instead of a 'black' background is a no go for me. I am running the hypex amps bridged.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread