Horn loaded mid/bass cab (BD-Design)

by GC, Friday, March 04, 2005, 14:21 (6992 days ago)

I'm building a large system, last jears i spend on building and testing subwoofers and i build a proto type tractrix horn for the mids. Mid is driven by a ACR fe 103 s in a 300 Hz hoorn. At this moment i have a mono proto type set up wich includes a 200 liter closed subwoofer with 15" TC sounds driver, bandpass horn mid/bass with B&C 15PL40, the mid horn and seas excel 001 tweeter. I use the behringer DCX 2496 for filtering and some correction on the mid horn.

Most recent pic:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDvApsUccgAtPpUmvsVlqkVVIXwqnMtQPZY3PVoL!O0i7EYa6XntYkyZhfwalJaXpZ9baIT6giyZMVgfbDyEPbrNqXVFuQ0xMfkz0VM*OA/DSC04411.JPG[/img]

The closed sub will be replaced bij a double 8" folded 30 Hz horn wich preforms even better then the TC sounds sub.

Preformance of this set up is verry good. I like some verry heavy bass and a nice kick and this set up gives wht i want, but i want to try some other things before i spend a lot of money on a stereo set up.
The bandpass horn is the first mid/bass cab is have used in this set up, i\m planning to build/design a new cab.
First i was thinking about the lascala, its a nice small cab and i have read some good words on it. But when i put the parameters in a simulation a 100 Hz hoorn. I want to go to 65 hz for a good inergration with the sub horn. I extended the horn, enlarged the mouth en reduced the back chamber to get down to 70 Hz.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YADoAmMdZoqEsN40D0tXrs482s2HABNDmstH3nfZxcXjGWYmuhd3NwjQmOVIZqMu2dsUX!93s7KgPWMWgePHXiqVmNJ4ap!Da4W5xenFiCtjENHq2sTGFmTEjFUFMMXuDdb*smtdLIGCcmACTW96aQ/Sim%2015pl40%20lascala%20verlengt.JPG[/img]
Simulation is 1/4 space)

But i have some questions about the lascala, and midbass horn design. Depends the lascala on the large backcamber to to lift up output below the flare frekwentie?? I think a lager 60/70 Hz horn will preform much better then a small compromised horn like the lascala. How do you guys think about this?

At this moment i am thniking about a bigger cab based on the lascale, or a total new desing with a straigth 70 Hz horn. The straigth horn can get a big large.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread