Horn loaded mid/bass cab (BD-Design)

by GC, Tuesday, March 08, 2005, 00:01 (6961 days ago) @ GC

A larger throat will widen the band width and a larger back chamber will
give more sensitivity in the deeper bass. Leave the mouth at maximim and
play with the throat and back chamber in your simulations.

Thats is what i was thinking. The mouth can be someting like 50 * 70 cm, wich i think is a nice size for the front of a mid/bass horn. But enlarging the throat is limited with one 15" driver. A way to get a bigger throat is to use 2 15" drivers per side. With larger SD you dont have to make the horn longer for proper loading on the driver.

Its a big help but it won't tell you how to build it which is responsible
for the quality of the sound.

Correct. Thats way I build and test the proto types before i decide what to do for the final set up. But this time i want to come as close as posible to the best result. so i will take some more time for this project.

Peter van VennHel had a good design that played down from 50Hz up to 250Hz
pretty well. You could ask him for the drawing (he's in the showroom).

Thanks for the tip, i will contact him.

If build well then its okay with me, the only problem remaining is the
timing...

Do you mean a delay with timing?! Is use a DCX 2496 so i can set the delays on the difrent drivers.
Personaly i think a straigth horn will work better than a folded one, but i never did research on this.

My most recent idea was to build a double 15" horn per side. Double to make the throat larger and horn length shorter. A single 15" needs a quite long horn for good connection and loading tot 65/70 Hz. With a double 15" i can go down to 65 Hz -3/4 db with just 75 cm horn length.
The would look like the Fukntion one RES 9 low section. (http://www.funktion-one.nl/res9.htm)

I simulated the Emminence Gamma 15. This is a cheap driver, it almost dos'nt make any difference in cost for a single 15PL40 or double gamma 15 per side. The double gamma will go deeper in a shorter horn. The overal size will be a bit larger but that is not a big problem. Depth of 1 meter is the MAX.

Simulation double gamma on 75 cm horn with mouth 50 * 70 cm:
[img]images/uploaded/image26.jpg[/img]
(full space, 1/2 space and 1/4 space)

If a folded horn is an option, i can put the 15PL40 in a 1.2 meter horn with 65 Hz -1 dB.

[img]images/uploaded/image27.jpg[/img]
(full space, 1/2 space and 1/4 space)

The more expensive 15PL40 maybe have a stronger cone, has a stronger motor, tigther dispension, and i think a better overall construction.
I have never seen the gamma 15, but i know the 15PL40 is a well constructed driver. Would it be worth it to put this driver in a folded hoorn and still play up to 300 Hz with no distortion?

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread