Thanks for the advise... (BD-Design)

by GC, Sunday, March 13, 2005, 03:55 (6984 days ago) @ GC

Dear JBryan,

Thank you very much for your kind and complimentary words about my workmanship.

I planned out my Oris/Klipschorn speaker system for several years before I bought a single component to implement it. Placing the Oris 150 horns right on top of the K-horn cabinets was an option I considered early on. The problem with this was that after nearly forty years of critical listening I knew very well that time misalignment between drivers was a distortion to which I was idiosyncratically sensitive. Even with the Oris 150s mounted on top of the K-horns there was still the folded path of the output from the voice coil/cone juncture of the 15" woofer of the Klipschorn bass bins to the open air to temporally misalign outputs from the K-horn woofer and any midrange-treble divers. However, for at least thirty years I have been extremely impressed with the cleanliness, tightness, articulation and absolutely unmatched verisimiltude of bass musical notes, most especially those from percussive bass instruments as produced by K-horn folded corner horns. For that reason from the very beginning I included and researched digital sound processing computers such as those available from Tact Audio, DEQX, et.al. which would allow very precise time alignment between drivers.

I am absolutely delighted with the results I have achieved combining Oris 150s driven by AER MD3s amd Klipschorn bass bins. I do still have other possible improvements to the system to try. One is the addition of horn super tweeters driven by their own amplifier.

Those of you who are listening to Oris horns driven by AER MD3s might well question whether I really have any need for a horn supertweeter. You ask a very valid question. Before the Oris and Klipsch combination I'm presently enjoying my main speakers were a pair of 3 way Dynaudio d'Appolito towers using the excellent Dynaudio Esotar tweeters. These speakers, which I built and partly designed for myself, are of heroic construction, and Dr. Joseph d'Appolito was kind enough to help me with the design.

The Oris and Klipsch horns stomp the Dynaudio towers into the dirt when it comes to almost all the qualities which lend realism, excitement and emotional involvement with the music. However, there is one exception. There is some very high frequency information such as details of the sound of the rivets in the cymbals on Norah Jones first CD which come across very much, much more clearly and realistically through the Dynaudio tweeters. If I can hear these differences at all then my twenty-four year old daughter and nineteen year old son who, thanks to God, learned to enjoy good sound systems at their daddy's knee must find them obvious.

The DEQX PDC 2.6 is such a dream machine for creating a virtually seamless transition between drivers that I'm hoping to be able to integrate a good horn tweeter with the Oris horns well enough to have the best of both.

Thanks for your response.

Don Reid

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread