Onken bass cab's (Off Topic)

by GC, Monday, April 18, 2005, 19:34 (6941 days ago) @ GC

Hi Halgeir,

I have been searching high and low for some theory on Onken cabinets, but
hardly found anything.... Does anybody have any pointers..??

Its a long time that I calculated Onken enclosures and did some research around the principle. I can't remember half of the theory behind it! :-(

What is the pulse response of Onkens likely to be ??
Worse or better than SC4 or B4 reflex alignments??

This is what I do know and why I always try to achieve an "Onken" similar response. The Q of such a system is low, therefore the impulse behaviour is always better...

Most manufacturers using software to calculate reflex enclosures tend to search for the most flat response in theory. In practise these systems are the worst kind (boomy!). Most used software does not calculate what such a system will do when placed in a real room, rooms where we like to listen to our music....

99% of the listening rooms push the bass up, a flat outside measured system will provide too much bass (+6 to 9dB!). A low Q bass reflex system gives outside less strong deeper bass, placed in a room such a system always give a cleaner bass. You can't use any driver for such a system though, the relative large enclosure needs a driver with a high Vas to prevent the bass to become "slow".

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread