Lowther cones or AER cones (Off Topic)

by GC, Thursday, April 21, 2005, 00:11 (6940 days ago)

I am curious what the experience has been changing Lowther cones to AER cones.

I have Lowther DX4 cones which are nominally 15 ohms. I am planning on moving from Hedlund Horns to open baffle speakers. I may want to accomplish several things at once by making some changes to these drivers.

First, open baffle speakers are better off with higher Qts rating drivers. If I changes the drivers from the 15 ohm voice coils which I now have to one which is 4 ohms (driven by a SET amp on its 16 ohm tap or with a higher output impedance transformer), I will get much closer to a more appropriate Qts for the system. I can use high impedance speaker wire as well (i.e., 31 guage) to further raise the Qts. Does this all make sense?

If I send these out to Lowther, I would make sure that the Hi Ferric material is not used with the new voice coil.

While I switch the windings of the driver, I can change the driver cone to an upgraded Lowther cone or AER drivers. Is there a benefit to using the AER driver cones over the Lowther cones, or are there simply tradeoffs? Does anyone know the cost of adding AER driver cones to my DX4 drivers?

Retsel

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread