Mac vs Windows, now we know.... (BD-Design)

by GC, Friday, May 13, 2005, 00:24 (6917 days ago) @ GC

Kernel streaming can takes over the sound device completely. That's why it can only function when there is no other software running wich makes any kind of connection to the sound device (usb/spdif convertor). When foobar is playing via kernel streaming there can be no other sound being played from other software (such as windows
itself) the sound device can only be occupied by one program at the same time (like in the bad old windows 3.1 days)

My config is as follows:

Core set to real time (KS did also work without this setting) Playback set to realtime (same comment) Output set to Kernel Streaming with buffer set to 20mS (lowest possible) Output format set to 16 bit fixed point with strong ATH noise shaping Playback thread priority set to max (= default foobar setting) Replay gain disabled (never use this one, kills dynamics) No Dsp features USB sound device drivers default by windows (I'm using win2k pro, not XP, but it should work on XP also, after all it's the same kernel)

I hope this is of some help to you, I'm not a foobar expert, I'm just fiddling around with the settings. On other systems maybe Direct Sound sounds better, I don't know but it sure will sound better than Wave Out.

All other plug-ins are just for convenience and looks, not for sound output

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread