Cable for BD15s (BD-Design)

by GC, Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 04:03 (6899 days ago) @ GC

Because other people pay more for copper, you should too?

Different cable (material, thickness, isolation, construction, etc.) does
make a difference.

I tried to get Steve's thoughts in a more technical and sceptical ('scientific' actually) mindset.

I didn't actually say that cables didn't make a difference.

For instance, I've just measured the resistance of ~12 m of ~1 mm diameter standard copper wire. The added resistance is ~0.5 ohm, so there *is* something there, but it's not a lot.

In my experience and technical opinion, variations you make between 0 and 15 m, 0,75 mm and 5 mm, copper and silver (5% more conductive), strings and solid, can't be heard, unless your amplifier is really at it's threshold and can't handle the little extra resistance.

The more transparent the system the better you'll hear
it unless you're not open minded enough or don't care much about it...

That's not very nice. You can say that in your opinion it does make an audible difference, but stating that is does and argumenting open-mindedness is not very .. open-minded. We all know what the subconcious is capable of (in this business).

No offense though, people should do what they think is best for them. I
respect peoples opinion without trying to force anybody to think or feel
the same as I do.

A good example is that some people who visited my demo at the show last
weekend only needed a quick listen (seconds!) through the door to be able
to form their opinion...

Example of what?

I guess its called prejudice, I can only feel sorry for those guys who are
not "willing" to learn and keep running in circles until they do...

Ah, you compare the doorway-guys with people not open-minded enough to hear differences between cables. Well, I think they are different things. For starters, the differences between systems are huge, can be argued about and more effectively can be demonstrated quite effectively. Now compare that to:
"Again solid wires... I did use silver for the bass which gives it a bit more dynamical feeling but copper will do well."

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread