Cable for BD15s (BD-Design)

by GC, Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 10:36 (6898 days ago) @ GC

Hi Niels,

I tried to get Steve's thoughts in a more technical and sceptical
('scientific' actually) mindset.

I didn't actually say that cables didn't make a difference.

No problem with that, it was not clear to me that this was your intention. To me it "sounded" like it does not make a difference.

In my experience and technical opinion, variations you make between 0 and
15 m, 0,75 mm and 5 mm, copper and silver (5% more conductive), strings
and solid, can't be heard, unless your amplifier is really at it's
threshold and can't handle the little extra resistance.

There is more going on than just resistance, I can't explain what or why but I know that the differences are present from almost nothing to very audible.

That's not very nice. You can say that in your opinion it does make an
audible difference, but stating that is does and argumenting
open-mindedness is not very .. open-minded. We all know what the
subconcious is capable of (in this business).

Yes, the mind plays tricks but nevertheless, things I can't explain make a big difference in sound. I am open minded enough to believe this as I have heard changes clearly without being able to understand why. I am more sceptical than you might think but despite that I do play with parts without trying to explain. That is more open minded than just ignore or disagree before it is technical proved...

Ah, you compare the doorway-guys with people not open-minded enough to
hear differences between cables. Well, I think they are different things.

Not just cables, in general. You see things thinking that there is nothing that is interesting to learn. Why do people go to such demonstrations, only to meet friends or to find things they can use to improve/change their own system?

"Again solid wires... I did use silver for the bass which gives it a bit
more dynamical feeling but copper will do well."

Silver did that in my system and I liked that but that does not mean that I am using Silver for the bass at home or that everybody else should use that. I am not (anymore) infected by the "hype" trying to improve everything all the time. Everything you change in the system does makes a difference (better or worse) but for me it is not the most important thing, I prefer to listen to music. Solid Copper for the bass will do well enough to enjoy listening to music but if people want to optimise than Silver and solid wire could sound better within their system...

BTW, I did learn something more about cables at the show. Being very sceptical did not stop me to try different USB cables for connecting the Laptop to the TwinDAC+. Normally I use a cable as short as possible (sounded best in my system at home) but the whole weekend I used a new type 4m long USB cable from Monster. It clearly made a difference improving the whole sound being much cleaner (less jitter with a longer cable?) giving a lot more 3D and detail.

If I would have been sceptical about cables like you seem to be than I would never found this out and waved the cable away thinking that this can't improve anything!

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread