Equalization/Modification for the FE206 (BD-Design)

by GC, Monday, August 15, 2005, 19:45 (6801 days ago) @ GC

I haven't heard the drivers. But I have read some of the posts about the modified driver. Those who have them believe that the phase plug makes it sound better than the original. And I certainly accept that. But they also maintain that the modifications equalize the mid-high frequency rise and raggedness, WITHOUT lowering efficiency. I don't think this is possible.

I think you can do a lot with the FE206 in terms of simple series and parallel networks. Those changes will turn your FE206 system into a 93dB/W system at best, instead of a 96 dB/W one. A glance at the manufacturer data suggests that this is mandatory to get an even sound out of the FE206, although with one of the Fostex horns in the room corners, I bet there is a good deal of bass reinforcement. Maybe the FE166 can do without.

I intend to compare Bert's circuits for the singular, as well as others mentioned by M. King for his ML-TL, and my own predictions. I can put up with midbass/lower midrange bloom, but above 1kHz, I want things to be flat, certainly not rising.

If you are considering the price of the modified FE206, I would look to the Fostex Sigma range instead.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread