pre-amp out to sub-amp (BD-Design)

by GC, Monday, August 22, 2005, 06:57 (6815 days ago) @ GC

[quote]Also, use quality components. Cheap parts will destroy more than you'll
gain...
[/quote]
I did use cheap parts to test now. What normally would be classified as quality components in this area? I mean what kind of components?

> > For the 15" base driver, what kind of characteristics I should look for?
[quote]PA drivers won't work?

This depends on the size of the enclosure you're planning to built, your
listening level, the size of your room and what is the most important
quality in the bass you are looking for. You can even use an 8" bass
driver in a relative small enclosure if that suits your preferences.
[/quote]

The room is 400 sq. ft close to square like, with a 9' ceiling. I don't get enough base now definitely, and the Voigt Pipe's not generating enough sound pressure. I have to put the Pipe close to the corners of the wall to get the base. Now with the EQ circuit, I could get the volume up to -2 (in the past -15) to get more base without getting too much mid and high.

I like to bring the level of details back from string instrument like violin. I don't hear rock music. I am more in jazz, string quartets, orchestrial, and human voice like opera.

The bass driver should fit the enclosure your building. PA, hifi, etc....
all can be used depending on the quality you're after.

If the cut off is at around 250 Hz, does that mean the base driver needs to cover only from say 35Hz to 250Hz, not 35Hz to 5KHz for example. I can see a variety of these from local stores, mostly PA type and car audio use base drivers, but they never mention any Thiele/Small parameters, just Watt and Impedance.

Sorry to ask these questions as actually your BD15 give a good benchmark already. I know how it feels when you already recommended the best but I still ask you for alternatives:-) Sorry about that.

Francis

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread