Some more info... (BD-Design)

by GC, Wednesday, August 31, 2005, 00:06 (6813 days ago) @ GC

Hi again,

I'm about to add a simple R/C, 4.7k/15n by this the simulation shows all
most the same curve adding only the 3rd order.

Same curve but what about the change of phase around the crossover frequency range? In simulations you will have to use all data as input. Not just the electrical parts of the filter.

With all respect, here is some more info about loudspeakers:

In the bass there is more happening then just thinking that it simulates like a simple resistor without any phase and time changes.

A reflex port or just a simple impedance peak already changes the phase (time) of the acoustical signal, the coil of the driver works like a coil (not like a resistor), adding a horn in front of the bass driver changes the phase, the placement of the driver (time or acoustical phase)....

With the Oris systems you're filtering at frequencies where the mentioned acoustical behaviour is certainly not behaving like a simple resistor so if you don't add this specific data to the simulation then all calculations or results are useless.

I won't explain too deeply about the specific behaviour of bass systems, in general this data will always be different depending of the room and placement in that room.

Don't theorize too much. Play with values as I usally suggest and listen if these changes make it better in your room.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread