technical specs of AER MD3 (Off Topic)

by GC, Thursday, October 06, 2005, 05:24 (6749 days ago)

Hi, Bert,

I have looked in your DIY website for for technical specifications for my AER MD3s, but haven't found them. This might well be a result of my mental inadequacies.

Please tell me what the safe power maximum is for MD3s in my Oris 150s. If there are other technical specs available for these drivers please tell me where to find them online or provide them in a response post.

By the way I love the MD3/Oris 150 sound. It is, of course, a bit rolled off in the high frequencies, but is otherwise the best sound I've heard from my system after thirty-five years of designing and building speaker

Bye,
Don Reid

Tags:

technical specs of AER MD3

by GC, Thursday, October 06, 2005, 10:08 (6749 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don,

I have looked in your DIY website for for technical specifications for my
AER MD3s, but haven't found them. This might well be a result of my
mental inadequacies.

I do not have any technical information on my website, this is to my opinion of no use to anyone. But if you need some then you can look on the AER website, here is a direct link to the specifications of the AER MD3.

http://www.aer-loudspeaker.com/de/md3_g.html#L1

I am not responsible for the accuracy of the information provided there, I would not give the speakers more then 20W continious, they will probably burn out. With the 109dB sensitivity you will never want to give them that power (that's more that 120dB!)

Please tell me what the safe power maximum is for MD3s in my Oris 150s.

For normal listening levels you do not need more than 1Watt...

By the way I love the MD3/Oris 150 sound. It is, of course, a bit rolled
off in the high frequencies, but is otherwise the best sound I've heard
from my system after thirty-five years of designing and building speaker

I do not agree with the high frequency roll-off you stated perhaps the high frequencies in your equipment sounds dull making you think like that?

Try for the fun to listen to a good SET or even OTL without digital EQ and corrections and listen again...

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Monday, October 10, 2005, 00:33 (6745 days ago) @ GC

Hi, Bert,

I am not responsible for the accuracy of the information provided there, I
would not give the speakers more then 20W continious, they will probably
burn out. With the 109dB sensitiviy you will never want to give them that
power (that's more that 120dB.

I don't intend to listen anywhere within a Bel of 120dB. I power the Oris 150/Aer MD3s with Cary Audio Design 2a3 SET monoblocks which are generously rated at 5w/ch. The only reason I asked about power handling was that I intend to make up a pair of speaker wires with fast blow inline fuses to use when my wife and I host a meeting of the informal audiophile club we helped found about twenty-five years ago, and someone asks if he can bring in his 500w/ch Krell amps so we can hear them playing the Oris 150s.

In retrospect the question was unneccessary. I'll calculate the fuse amperage to blow at five watts. I know that will be plenty loud and quite safe.

I do not agree with the high frequency roll-off you stated perhaps the
high frequencies in your equipment sounds dull making you think like that?

> Try for the fun to listen to a good SET or even OTL without digital EQ and

corrections and listen again...

I tend to keep audio components I find to have great merit. I still have components I bought nearly thirty-five years ago. I have listened to my Oris 150s with a wide variety of systems. One very good arrangment was a good turntable with air bearing tonearm and MC cartridge, a phono preamp, nondigital extensively adjustable electronic crossover, 2a3 SET amp powering the Oris/AERs and tube/ss hybrid amp powering JBL 18" woofers in bass reflex enclosures. This is only one of several systems I put together. These is not much point in keeping old components if you don't sometimes get them out and play with them. None of the systems I've put together has come close to sounding as good as the present system which includes the DEQX PDC 2.6 digital crossover and time, room and speaker correction component with SET amp powering Oris 150/AER MD3s and the bass horns of my Klipschorns powered by tube/ss hybrid amp along with a variety of sources.

In a recent post you stated the we should trust our ears and not need technical explanations for what we hear. That is mainly what I am doing in regards to a high frequency rolloff in my Oris 150/AER MD3s. Upon further thought I wish I hadn't brought the subject up because I realize it could be harmful to your sales, and I don't want that to happen because I have very high respect for your abilities as a speaker designer and for your products. If a burglar with a strong back stole my Oris/AERs I would immediately order exact replacements from you.

However, In AB listening tests comparing the Oris/AERs with Dynaudio d'Appolito towers with the Esotar tweeters or with other speakers I and others, including one excellent old friend who was formerly the owner and recording engineer of a recording studio and now owns a company which places high end audio systems in churches, do not hear as much information in the 10-20 kHz octave from the Oris/AERs as with other very high quality speakers. The differences are subtle, but those differences include definable, specific sounds and not just a feeling or sense or shimmer or air. Despite the fact that I am fifty-six years old my hearing is still reliable up into the top octave.

The aforementioned old friend offered to bring research laboratory grade accoustic measuring instruments here and do testing on both the Oris/AERs and the DEQX PDC 2.6 Digital crossover and correction device. He was very complimentary and excited about the sound of the Oris/AERs played in a system which included the DEQX, but he did mention that the that the speakers rolled off the highs a bit. If you're interested, when he and I find a time to do the measurements I will send you the results by personal e-mail.

I realize I tend to toss my opinions out rather freely. If this causes a problem let me know, and I will limit future posts to questions I need answered.

Lastly, on a personal note I wish to thank Chris and Paul Valder and Brian Clark for the hospitality, great company and music, they provided me during my family's recent visit to England. If they or any other horn/SET fans are ever in my part of Georgia, USA I would love to return the favor.

Bye,
Don Reid

Tags:

by GC, Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 00:48 (6743 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don,

Feel free to post any messages trying to find the answers to your questions.

No offense but as long as techical aspects as frequency range extension, distortion, power consumption and such are more important then the music itself then it is of no interest to me. Perhaps other people would like to know and read about this but I have passed that station a long time ago.

A full-range driver will never be able to provide the level of detail compared to some high-end tweeters but those AER's do a much better job compared to most tweeters around without integration problems to the mid's....

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread