lowther pm2c (BD-Design)

by GC, Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 18:27 (6764 days ago)

Hello Bert,Would the Lowther pm2c work well in the Oris horn?
What do you think of the pm2c?Gary.

Tags:

lowther pm2c

by GC, Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 23:47 (6764 days ago) @ GC

Hi Gary,

Would the Lowther pm2c work well in the Oris horn?

Yes (preferable with the old type Whizzer). You might want to cut the supplied woolfelt shorter to give the driver some air behind the cone. The magnet is pretty wide preventing free air movement...

What do you think of the pm2c?

Its a Lowther but not the worst one... you'll like them a lot in the Oris horn. :)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

lowther pm2c

by GC, Thursday, October 13, 2005, 02:13 (6764 days ago) @ GC

How do you tell which is the old-type whizzer?

Cheers
Francis

Tags:

lowther pm2c

by GC, Thursday, October 13, 2005, 09:52 (6764 days ago) @ GC

Hi Francis,

Old type versus new type. The one with the edge is the newer type...

[image] [image]

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

lowther pm2c

by GC, Friday, October 14, 2005, 08:51 (6763 days ago) @ GC

Thks for the pic's.
Well, if the factory is now going with the new cone (with the edge), and obviously they won't supply both types, so we don't have a choice if we buy new ones, or unless we replace the cones ourselves by hands.

Francis

Tags:

lowther pm2c

by GC, Friday, October 14, 2005, 14:41 (6763 days ago) @ GC

Hi Francis,

They made a wrong choice (my personal opinion) solving their problem with the whizzer but it is giving back other problems...

Oh well, its their choice and for what's worth, AER drive units don't have that problem to solve! :)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

lowther pm2c - old cone availability

by GC @, Tuesday, October 18, 2005, 20:45 (6758 days ago) @ GC

If you place an order to Lowther and specify that you want the old cone it will be provided at no additional cost. That is true for any of Lowthers driver units.

Jon Ver Halen

Tags:

lowther pm2c - old cone availability

by GC, Sunday, November 06, 2005, 14:19 (6740 days ago) @ GC
edited by GC, Sunday, November 06, 2005, 14:48

Also note that the 2C normally used to come with a different diaphragm - made from different paper with different embossing (anullar) - maybe Lowther have changed that policy and are now offering A type diaphragms with the C types.

WRT the new Lowther reverse roll on the whizzer - I agree this is a step backwards - I have auditioned A-B style the old whizzer versus the new type and the old type is better despite being more shouty as it still has life - the new type sounds "dead" - Why?

Well unfortunately Lowther saw fit to simply reverse roll the last 4mm odd of the whizzer - thus making the whizzer shorter and smaller in diameter - therefore no good.

What does work exceedingly well is adding a reverse roll on the standard old size whizzer i.e whilst maintaining the wizzer dimensions but simply reinforcing the edge.

There are two must do mods for a Lowther:

1) Add this reverse roll. Use the same type paper grade....

(Pic colour is wrong due to Flash reflections in horn - paper is yellow as Berts pics above)

[image]

2) Remove all Hi Ferric from the Voice Coil (and I mean ALL!!!) This one mod will have you shaking your head in disbelief at what you have been missing all this time :-D
Light Grey HF - use Thinners and cotton wool buds. Dark Black HF - use Paint Stripper gel leave on for no more than 5mins - clean and remove - reapply if necessary. This process DOES NOT affect the wire enamel coating nor the glue that holds the VC to the former BUT you do this at you OWN RISK of course! ;-)

Black HF - seemingly Prior '96 Thinners does not work - use Paint Stripper

[image]

Grey HF - post '96 use Thinners.

[image]

A stripped and thoroughly clean Voice Coil that will blow you away with dynamics and naturalness.

[image]

Thus you will then have a completely new, more lively driver, with far less shout and ultimately a very balanced performer. Something that then lives up to Voigt's original driver and expectations I would suspect :-)

HTH

Mark

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread