Wooden phase plugs for the 206e (BD-Design)

by GC, Tuesday, October 18, 2005, 12:12 (6757 days ago)

Hi,

I am going to build the Singular Cabinet for the Fostex 206e, which I bought from Bert last week. I have a question considering the need of the EQ.

At http://www.planet10-hifi.com/pp-info.html they sell wooden phase plugs for the 206e. Does anyone has experience with this modification? And will they reduce the need of the EQ?

A measurement of those plugs on the 207e can be found here: http://www.timn8er.com/fostex_fe207e_phase_plug_test.htm

So, in sum, is this a modification one could recommend? :-)

Regards,

Alexander

P.S. Sometime after my post I browsed the forum. I should have done that first. :-D I found some answers on http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=9880

Tags:

Wooden phase plugs for the 206e

by GC, Tuesday, October 18, 2005, 10:17 (6757 days ago) @ GC

Hi Alexander,

So, in sum, is this a modification one could recommend? :-)

Yes, I think it is recommended. Not for the frequency plot provided but more for opening the little chamber around the coil. Pity that they used a different scale for those plots because I am missing the frequencies above 10kHz when the phase plug was included.

Perhaps you can bring the modified drive unit over to my place so that I can do some identical measurements to see. However, if it sounds better then who cares! :)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, October 20, 2005, 20:07 (6755 days ago) @ GC

Hello Bert,

Just received the phase plugs from Planet 10. I had to make some surgical moves to remove the dust caps. I made some phase plugs by myself like those from Planet 10, but with different lengths.

I would like to visit you again with my Fostex 206 including the different sets of phase plugs, to see what the differences are in measurement.

Regards,
Martin:-D

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, October 20, 2005, 20:13 (6755 days ago) @ GC

Hi Martin,

I would like to visit you again with my Fostex 206 including the different
sets of phase plugs, to see what the differences are in measurement.

Sounds like fun... :)

The rest of this week and the coming weekend I am loaded with things to do but somewhere next week should be manageable.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Sunday, October 23, 2005, 20:30 (6752 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bert!
Would be nice to do some testing. Now I have made couple of plugs with bullet shape. Are there other shapes that will work or do you have a suggestion for one ? On the site of Tony Gee, I have seen some tests where he used different shapes of light bulbes.

Regards,
Martin:-D

Tags:

by GC, Monday, October 24, 2005, 10:13 (6751 days ago) @ GC

Hi Martin,

Would be nice to do some testing. Now I have made couple of plugs with
bullet shape. Are there other shapes that will work or do you have a
suggestion for one ? On the site of Tony Gee, I have seen some tests where
he used different shapes of light bulbes.

In the past I have tried several shapes but I always came back to the normal shaped plugs. Bulbs and such are blocking the high frequencies making the sound unnatural, the same reason why I never liked the Lowther plugs.

Perhaps you can create a smoother frequency response with those but in the end, you'll loose more then you'll gain.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread