oris200+FE206E RCRC values (BD-Design)

by GC, Monday, October 17, 2005, 16:32 (6738 days ago)

Hi,

My setup is Oris 200+FE206E driven by 6V6 AB1 Tube + Zhaolu S100 100Wx2 SS Amp for the base. My room size is 17' x 17'. Speaker toe in at 40 degree.

After a few tries over the RCRC values, I found this setting satisfactory and would like to share:

1st order:
700 ohm + 1 uF

2nd order
7Kohm + 0.1 uF

The 100K VR is set to 15Kohm, and base amp volume is set to 2 pm.

Of course, the others might have different listening environment. I remember someone on this site who requested sharing of the line filter tuning. Any opinion is welcome.

I also put in an automatic voltage regulator lately, and it helps a lot with the sound imaging. I also replaced my copper speaker wire with silver. That also helps. I put sound absorption pillar at the back corners and the walls to aid the base and remove base resonance.

Cheers
Francis

Tags:

oris200+FE206E RCRC values

by GC, Tuesday, October 18, 2005, 10:14 (6737 days ago) @ GC

Hi Francis,

Thanks for adding your experiments to the club. You should mention that you'r using a different bass system though (same enclosure but other different bass driver) because this makes things different also besides room conditions. :)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Tuesday, October 18, 2005, 17:49 (6737 days ago) @ GC

Right, I use a pair of I think PA class 15" base drivers using Ferrite magnet with a sticker on top saying Fuji, but I don't think it's made in Japan. Perhaps OEM in China for some Jap brand or so.

I also drive the base drivers with a 100W SS amp class AB MOSFET type. The amp is supposed to be for full range use, but I just delegate it for the bass.

The calculation is based on a web site that the forum here referred to. Hope the calculation is correct.

Also just found out that the base driver will give light hum noise at 3:00 pm volume level but otherwise not if I unplug the input signal cable. Looks like my cheap RCA cables pick up noise.

BTW, don't you think that putting "wheels" at the bottom of the compact base box will worsen the sound? I didn't put nails because of the weight and the wheels make it real easy to move around to reposition.

Cheers

Francis

Tags:

by GC, Tuesday, October 18, 2005, 19:10 (6737 days ago) @ GC

Hi Francis,

Thanks for being complete... :)

Also just found out that the base driver will give light hum noise at 3:00
pm volume level but otherwise not if I unplug the input signal cable. Looks
like my cheap RCA cables pick up noise.

The cable with RCA after the filter should be as short as possible thus reducing of picking up noise. Best place is to solder the filter to the RCA itself. Another source for hum could be the main amp itself, its noise floor is amplified by the bass amplifier. I some cases you might even have created an earth/ground loop that is picking up noise.

BTW, don't you think that putting "wheels" at the bottom of the compact
base box will worsen the sound? I didn't put nails because of the weight
and the wheels make it real easy to move around to reposition.

Wheels are handy but a solid placement improves the bass, cleaner and more tight. If you need to move them around all the time then leave them on wheels to make your life more easy...

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread