Drawing Quasar MkII (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Wednesday, December 21, 2005, 17:39 (6672 days ago)

Here is the basic drawing for building the Quasar MkII DIY system. All needed dimensions are present or can be calculated from the present values.

For future upgrades (like using the Oris 250 horn in combination with this panel) then make the cut-out all through the panel for the full-range driver 242mm in diameter. The front panel can be used at first with a smaller size to be able to mount the full-range driver, this smaller cut-out will be easy to enlarge later so that you can fit the Oris 250 horn in the panel.

[image]

The panels should be made as sandwich with 2x 15mm (outer panels) and 7x 18mm panels. The front has two recessed cut-outs for the BD15's, the rest of the holes should be similar sized all through the panel.

The floor plate should be made as sandwich with 1x 18mm and 1x 15mm panels.

The BD15 bass drivers should be mounted flush with the front panel, the needed recess is 13-15mm deep).

All dimensions are in mm's and also made from panel thicknesses and sizes present here in Holland. The total thickness of the main panel is 156mm but this is not too critical (a few mm's more or less won't make much of a difference).

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:
Quasar MkII drawing

Drawing Quasar MkII

by rodneyAB, Thursday, December 22, 2005, 21:54 (6671 days ago) @ Bert

Nice drawing. have seen fotos of these. drawing makes me sit up and take notice, but...for grins...I see the panel taller with an Oris 200/BD3 replacing the space for the fe206:cool:
rodney

Tags:

Drawing Quasar MkII

by Bert @, Friday, December 23, 2005, 09:42 (6670 days ago) @ rodneyAB

Hi Rodney,

I see the panel taller with an Oris 200/BD3 replacing the space for the

I see the same panel with the new Oris 250 and the MD3, MD2, MD1, MkI, FE206E... :rolleyes:

That horn will be much shorter than the Oris 200 but if the sound with these will be in balance with the OB bass configuration is something to try first...

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Oris 250?

by rodneyAB, Friday, December 23, 2005, 10:21 (6670 days ago) @ Bert

I see the same panel with the new Oris 250 and the MD3, MD2, MD1, MkI,
FE206E... :rolleyes:

That horn will be much shorter than the Oris 200

:cool: that should be interesting, i musta missed the discussion of Oris 250, as well as the Quasar discussion below:blush: i better catch up....that panel I think would be fun to build...and a horn would add to its good looks

Ciao,

rodney

Tags:

Oris 250?

by Bert @, Friday, December 23, 2005, 10:57 (6670 days ago) @ rodneyAB

Hi Rodney,

that should be interesting, i musta missed the discussion of Oris
250, as well as the Quasar discussion below:blush: i better catch
up....that panel I think would be fun to build...and a horn would add to
its good looks

There was no discussion about the Oris 250 in general, only a "newsflash" mentioning these in the dicussion about compression drivers. Here is a direct link to that topic:

http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=10219

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Drawing Quasar MkII

by goon-heaven, Friday, December 23, 2005, 11:10 (6670 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

I see the same panel with the new Oris 250 and the MD3, MD2, MD1, MkI,
FE206E... :rolleyes:

That horn will be much shorter than the Oris 200 but if the sound with
these will be in balance with the OB bass configuration is something to
try first...

Interesting. Keep me posted of developments please.

Regards
Steve

Tags:

Drawing Quasar MkII

by Bert @, Friday, December 23, 2005, 22:52 (6670 days ago) @ goon-heaven

Hi Steve,

Interesting. Keep me posted of developments please.

Just come back to this forum from time to time, I will post interesting developments I want to share at this place first anyhow...

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Drawing Quasar MkII

by fishball79 @, Thursday, August 23, 2007, 08:38 (6062 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Am interested in doing up this design with Coral flat 6 fullrange drivers and the BD Design woofers but have some questions about how to improve the design.

The fullrange driver is mounted in a cylindrical cavity, would this not cause a large peak in the frequency response where the wavelenght coincides with the cavity's diameter?

Would it be possible to use an active linkwitz transform circuit to push up the low end? If not due to excursion, would adding 2 more woofers on top (Thus making the fullrange being in the middle of 4 woofers) help?

Would it improve sound quality if i roundover the edges or place the fullrange drive off centre?

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread