OB designs (Off Topic)

by Jim D., Thursday, December 22, 2005, 18:54 (6693 days ago)

Hi Bert and Merry Christmas!

Awesome snowflakes and like the feel of your new forum.....

A recent experience with an open baffle design (not yours) proved very pleasant but they could not match the dynamics of my Oris 200/AER-BD1 w/Altec bass combo. I like how open and uncolored the sound seemed but I felt like the dynamics in the mid-bass dept was lean. Of course this may be a mute point if you have never heard a good Oris setup :grin:

Is what I'm hearing typical of OB designs and/or is there a way to alleviate?

Thanks,
Jim D.

Tags:

OB designs

by Bert @, Friday, December 23, 2005, 09:49 (6693 days ago) @ Jim D.

Hi Jim,

Thanks,

Is what I'm hearing typical of OB designs and/or is there a way to
alleviate?

The Quasar as shown does not have a weak mid-bass at all, it is pretty dynamic comparable with boxed enclosures using the same drivers.

Lack of "punch" is due to a bad filter design, a weak panel (working like a spring), using "slow" hi-fi bass drive units or an amp that is too soft.

Most OB panels are designed and build with high Qts bass drivers (to get more deep bass), such drivers pump a lot of air but do mis the kicking fun... :whistle:

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

OB designs

by goon-heaven, Friday, December 23, 2005, 11:02 (6693 days ago) @ Jim D.

Hi Jim,

What was the make, model of the OB you heard? If it was a DIY design, what was the drivers and baffle layout?

Regards
Steve

Tags:

OB designs

by Jim D., Friday, December 23, 2005, 15:02 (6693 days ago) @ goon-heaven

Steve,

What was the make, model of the OB you heard? If it was a DIY design, what
was the drivers and baffle layout?

Email me at jrclwd@earthlink.net and I'll give you more details.

Regards,
Jim D.

Tags:

OB designs

by Bert @, Friday, December 23, 2005, 22:47 (6692 days ago) @ Jim D.

Hi Jim,

Email me at jrclwd@earthlink.net and I'll give you more details.

Give me some details too please... :smile:

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

OB designs

by Jim D., Saturday, December 31, 2005, 00:38 (6685 days ago) @ Bert

Give me some details too please... :smile:

A couple of guys ask me about this so I'll just respond here......
The OB design I'm talking about is the Bastanis Prometheus. It uses a modified(?) Eminence 12" driver for 100hz to ??, a slotted super tweeter, and a 12" Eminence woofer in a sealed cab with plate amp. It sounds very open and airy, but the mid bass is a little lean (less dynamic) compared to the Oris/Altec combo in my reference system. I've got this system up for sale a couple of places. Oh yes, I use a 300B on the Oris horns and Prometheus panels.

Robert Bastanis is a nice guy to deal with. Almost as nice as Bert:grin:

PS: I've never heard Bert's OB design.

Jim D.

Tags:

OB designs

by ALF, Sunday, January 01, 2006, 07:57 (6684 days ago) @ Jim D.

I have been playing with OB setups for a while (mostly semi-designed or undesigned, or accidentally designed :blush: )I find most to be remarkably forgiving ... you can get a pretty acceptable sound from very modest speakers - but even so, one needs to be careful where one puts them - it seems that you can tune them a bit like musical instruments - especially the bass - upper bass regions.
I don't see me returning to box designs - I'm hooked on the open sound...

I am seriously - very seriously - considering a pair along the Quasar line, but with different drivers (can't afford to spend too much, and such expense would be wifely unacceptable when there are drivers laying around the house already)- The Quasars are beautiful, and the pictires already sound good to me - the real thing is doubtless amazing!

At present I'm using almost the simplest of all OB designs - a rectangular sheet of mdf with a couple holes in it (these are angled back about 10 degrees) - - full range budget driver and big old Fane biamped and actively crossed over - a pretty good sound - bass much affected by distance from wall / corner ... I'm hoping for much better the next build.
(I'm the bald bloke - the big one is my mate Nigel, a more skilled audiophile -)
:smile: ALF

Tags:

OB designs

by VAris @, Wednesday, January 11, 2006, 18:51 (6673 days ago) @ ALF

Hi all.
I too came to conclusion that at OB best sound.
While I make the body like QUSAR I have placed the speakers in simple cardboard box. And even presently bass very strong and more right than by costing beside Triangle though woofer works from tube amp.:smile:

[image]

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread