Fostex Fe206esr (BD-Design)

by xcortes @, Friday, February 17, 2006, 14:40 (6614 days ago)

Hi. I'm new to this forum. Posted some questions yesterday but apparently they got lost. Here's another one.

I'm looking at the Fostex Fe206esr as the first driver for my Oris 150 that I plan to buy sometime soon. Is it a good idea? It's circular instead of square as the regular Fe206e so maybe I don't need to modify the Oris mounting ring. Is this correct?

The driver information can be found at:http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fe206esr-rev.pdf

Thanks,

xavier

Tags:

Fostex Fe206esr

by Bert @, Friday, February 17, 2006, 22:37 (6614 days ago) @ xcortes

Hi Xavier,

Hi. I'm new to this forum. Posted some questions yesterday but apparently
they got lost. Here's another one.

Welcome! I didn't delete any message, are you sure that you did select the submit button?

I'm looking at the Fostex Fe206esr as the first driver for my Oris 150
that I plan to buy sometime soon. Is it a good idea? It's circular instead
of square as the regular Fe206e so maybe I don't need to modify the Oris
mounting ring. Is this correct?

The modification isn't too hard to do and I have seen the specifications of the limited edition of the FE206ES-R drive unit. I still do not understand why they only produce a limited series of drive units, therefore I didn't order any for reselling them. If things are good then things should stay...

The driver information can be found at: http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fe206esr-rev.pdf

Looking at these (changed) specifications (the frequency curve) then I have to say that these drivers might work very well in the Oris 150 horns. I have not heard them play though...

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Fostex Fe206esr

by xcortes @, Friday, February 17, 2006, 23:45 (6614 days ago) @ Bert

If things are good then things should stay...

Agree. I guess it's a marketing thing.

Looking at these (changed) specifications (the frequency curve) then I
have to say that these drivers might work very well in the Oris 150
horns). I have not heard them play though...

I do remember another frequency plot though (looking worse) which I have
downloaded before somewhere...

Someone at the high efficiency forum said that Madisound asked Fostex to correct this and fostex made a slight change to driver.

I'll think during the weekend if I buy these or if I wait a few months and buy the AER MD1s.

Let me ask you other questions regarding the bass units. I like the looks of LaScalas and I like a lot that the driver is enclosed (I have small kids). I might build these as my first bass units. I couldn't access the plans. Do you have a link to them?

Also what drivers do they work with? I guess the BD15 but what about some vintage Altec 515B or 515C.

I tried to find answers to this in the forum before asking but couldnĀ“t access the old files.

Thanks,

xavier

Tags:

Fostex Fe206esr

by Frode, Saturday, February 18, 2006, 09:28 (6613 days ago) @ xcortes

Let me ask you other questions regarding the bass units. I like the looks
of LaScalas and I like a lot that the driver is enclosed (I have small
kids). I might build these as my first bass units. I couldn't access the
plans. Do you have a link to them?

xavier

Try this:La Scala plans

Tags:

Fostex Fe206esr

by Bert @, Monday, February 20, 2006, 10:01 (6611 days ago) @ xcortes

Hi Xavier,

Also what drivers do they work with? I guess the BD15 but what about some
vintage Altec 515B or 515C.

Basically all drivers work in the LaScala but the results are different. You'll hear the quality of the drivers very well but for a reasonable flat response you should use higher Q drivers for more output in the deeper range (below 100hz). Strong magnitised drive units sound better (more dynamic, "faster" and more articulated but give a rising response which needs to be EQ'd within the filter.

I tried to find answers to this in the forum before asking but couldnĀ“t
access the old files.

The very old files were lost when I moved to this server..

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

LaScala

by xcortes @, Tuesday, February 21, 2006, 23:32 (6610 days ago) @ Bert

Basically all drivers work in the LaScala but the results are different.
You'll hear the quality of the drivers very well but for a reasonable flat
response you should use higher Q drivers for more output in the deeper
range (below 100hz). Strong magnitised drive units sound better (more
dynamic, "faster" and more articulated but give a rising response which
needs to be EQ'd within the filter.

Could you be more precise on what Q do you mean by higher? The same for strong magnitised units?

What about a pair os Fupravox 400-2000 exc. Variable Q and strong magnet. How would these work? Would they be overkill?

Thanks again,

xavier

Tags:

LaScala

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 21, 2006, 23:38 (6610 days ago) @ xcortes

Dear Xavier,

Could you be more precise on what Q do you mean by higher? The same for
strong magnitised units?

The stronger the magnet the lower the Q and therefore less strong in the deeper bass (more dynamic and tight though).

What about a pair os Fupravox 400-2000 exc. Variable Q and strong magnet.
How would these work? Would they be overkill?

Yes, that would be overkill. Best balance will be with the Klipsch K33 or somthing similar. A stiff cone gives cleaner bass...

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

What about the Supravox Field Coils?

by xcortes @, Monday, February 20, 2006, 16:53 (6611 days ago) @ xcortes

I currently use a pair of those in open baffles and love them. I could try those with the Oris 150. Mats Cunnars' system in the showroom uses them (well actually it shows the Alnico version). However he later admitted that:

"in reality had no highs to speak of at all. ( Sorry guys). Adding a supertweeter helped quite a bit, activating the CD EQ funtion on an active crossover made for a good balance, but ultimately the 215-2000 Alnico is not really suited for front horn loading. The Oris should be heard with a properly balanced driver i.e. AER".

Obviously my best bet would be to try the Oris with the Supravoxes that I already own but maybe I would be wasting the time and money put into building the Oris system by using a less than adequate driver.

Any opinions?

thanks,

xavier

BTW in open baffle I do use Fostex t900A supertweeters so I could use them with the Oris/Supravox if needed.

Tags:

What about the Supravox Field Coils?

by Bert @, Monday, February 20, 2006, 17:55 (6611 days ago) @ xcortes

Dear Xavier,

Obviously my best bet would be to try the Oris with the Supravoxes that I
already own but maybe I would be wasting the time and money put into
building the Oris system by using a less than adequate driver.

Any opinions?

In the past I tried the Alnico 215-200 in the oris horns. Not good... too much gained energy in the lower mids.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread