While waiting for the BMS drivers... (Off Topic)

by Bert @, Thursday, March 30, 2006, 14:14 (6601 days ago)

Hi All,

I still did not receive the second BMS 4592ND driver to be able to listen in stereo and finally tune it all to a satisfying combination with the new Oris 250 horns. In the same shipment I should also receive the BMS 4590 drivers, just to see what the differenecs are between these.

Also still waiting for the Digital crossover with precise room EQ...

What to do when you're fully dependent on other people eh?

Well, I designed a new plug for the Oris horns (only tested with AER drive units) which seems to work much better than expected. It started as a joke (using the Karlson principle) but in the back of my head thinking that a tube without "length" could do something good.

With these plugs there is no need for the Crown either... :cool:

Here is a picture of the prototype...It is always good to try something completely different eh? :smile:

[img]images/uploaded/image95.jpg[/img]

More about availability and final design soon...

Another experiment was done in the search for a very good sounding variable resistor but why not make your own?

Using carbon (like used in pencils) makes it possible to create resistor values from 0 to about 10 ohms. I needed something around 6.8 ohms and this did the trick very well. :grin:

[img]images/uploaded/image96.jpg[/img]

Oh well, perhaps it is good that BMS' delivery is extremely slow, this way I can spend some of my time with experiments related to other things.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

While waiting for the BMS drivers...

by giulio @, Friday, March 31, 2006, 11:01 (6600 days ago) @ Bert

It was a bit quiet. Good to get some update.

Interesting stuff as usual. The resistor tip is nice. Any (rough) idea how many watts it takes? I assume you are using those graphite resistors at the amp output for lpads and the like.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Giulio

Tags:

by Bert @, Friday, March 31, 2006, 13:16 (6600 days ago) @ giulio

Hi Giulio,

Any (rough) idea how many watts it takes? I assume you are using those graphite resistors at the amp output for lpads and the like.

I can do some tests to see how much current I can get through it when connected to an older 12V battery with 7 ohms, should give 21W....

Perhaps I can even make them give some light (glowing in the dark...) :grin:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by Henry Venema @, Friday, March 31, 2006, 22:26 (6599 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,
As always you’re a man of constant iNovation and curiosity. The plugs are interesting. Do they result in a better sound than the cones and crowns?
Henry

Tags:

by Bert @, Saturday, April 01, 2006, 18:10 (6598 days ago) @ Henry Venema

Hi henry,

As always you’re a man of constant iNovation and curiosity.

That is part of the fun! :smile:

The plugs are interesting. Do they result in a better sound than the cones and crowns?

Yes, they do sound better overall. These plugs give more information and an more even balance in the higher frequencies.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by Henry Venema @, Monday, April 03, 2006, 16:15 (6597 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,

So when will these be available for sale?

Henry

Tags:

by Bert @, Monday, April 03, 2006, 16:30 (6597 days ago) @ Henry Venema

Hi Henry,

So when will these be available for sale?

Good question but hard to answer. The prototypes were made by hand and I am working on the final design and then finding a way to have them made elswhere.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread