Hey Bert what 5in -6in drivers (Off Topic)

by JohnK @, Friday, July 28, 2006, 14:45 (6476 days ago)

Have you tried in the new horns? Thinking of trying one of the new oris. Still need a pair of 150 for my new project.Moving to the new studio today and sat. Till later and Thxs JK

Tags:

Hey Bert what 5in -6in drivers

by Bert @, Saturday, July 29, 2006, 12:29 (6475 days ago) @ JohnK

Hi John,

Have you tried in the new horns? Thinking of trying one of the new oris.
Still need a pair of 150 for my new project.Moving to the new studio today
and sat.

So far I have only succesfully tested the Fostex FE166E's in them...

I should test more drivers though, do you have any suggestions?

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by Ivo, Tuesday, August 01, 2006, 02:11 (6472 days ago) @ Bert

I should test more drivers though, do you have any suggestions?

Hi Bert,

The Ciare HX 160 is interesting:

[img]http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/ciare/ciareHX160.jpg[/img]

There are specs and a frequency response curve at this link.

http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX160.pdf

It seems like a nice mix of old (paper cone) en new (ribs in the cone, neodymium magnet). I know conventional wisdom says the old-fashioned plain-paper and alnico sounds best, but some iNovations really are advances. I have little Monacor drivers, SPH-30X drivers with kevlar cones and neodymium magnets, that make live really hard on my Lowther drivers. The Lowthers are still better, but the mini-Monacor drivers are too close for comfort. Fantastic!

Anyway, I am interested in the Ciare driver. Apart from Fostex, it seems the most likely candidate.

Ivo

Tags:

by Bert @, Wednesday, August 02, 2006, 10:01 (6471 days ago) @ Ivo

Hi Ivo,

It seems to be a nice driver, the only thing I do not like, from looking at it, is the shape of the cone. It looks like a short horn and will act a bit like that. This might be a nice addition to the sound though... :smile:

The only way to find out is to listen...

Thanks for the tip,

Bert

--

Tags:

by Aksel, Thursday, August 03, 2006, 09:47 (6470 days ago) @ Ivo

I wonder if anyone have tried the supravox 135LB in a front horn.
I know the QES is a bit high but it might work.

Tags:

by Bert @, Thursday, August 03, 2006, 23:56 (6469 days ago) @ Aksel

Hi Aksel,

I wonder if anyone have tried the supravox 135LB in a front horn.
I know the QES is a bit high but it might work.

I do not think it wil work unless an EQ or notch is used to tame the too strong low-mids when used in the Oris 250 or any other front loading horn. Besides that the combination will need a tweeter for the high frequencies..

I have heard it in a rear loaded horn and that works very well and the sound was pretty good too.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by JohnK @, Saturday, August 05, 2006, 23:44 (6467 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert, Sorry been off line for my move to the new home and audio studio. I was thinking fostex as always;)like f120a or fe168e sigma. Does the 250 still add arround +6db? Thxs for your time and help.

Tags:

by Bert @, Sunday, August 06, 2006, 17:40 (6466 days ago) @ JohnK

Hi John,

Hi Bert, Sorry been off line for my move to the new home and audio studio.

No problem, is the new audio room a good one?

I was thinking fostex as always;)like f120a or fe168e sigma. Does the 250
still add arround +6db? Thxs for your time and help.

The FE168E needs some EQ to reduce the low mids which are too strong in the 250's. The FE166E's too but not as much...

The 250's add 6-9dB (depending on the back chamber).

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by JohnK @, Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:23 (6465 days ago) @ Bert

No problem, is the new audio room a good one?

The new rooms a massive improvement such a big differance. I designed it from the start as a audioroom. Also has space to display 3 systems. Dedicated 200amp electrical just for audioroom all outlets are on there own breaker. Have been able to cool the whole house and audio room with a small 1 room window AC unit.House and studio are built of reinforced concrette forms.And is passive solar:)Trying to save and eventualy generate power. Hope to have a oris system to demo [with my new designed bass BLH] just have been a bit tapped out of cash due to move, new home, double mortgage etc. But my rental property might be sold so will have cash then[wish me luck]. So with no chamber and f120a I should expect about +6db in oris 250? I just love the sound of f200a in oris 150 with t90aex just thought the 120a in a 250 would be simlar.Thxs again for your time and help JK

Tags:

by Bert @, Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 17:17 (6465 days ago) @ JohnK

Hi John,

Good to hear that the new room works out well. Acoustics has major influence to the final sound.

I asume that your new LBH is not too small? :smile:

I do not have the F120A's around but I am sure they will do better than the F200A's due to their smaller size (less moving mass).

Wishing you luck...

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread