Smaller woofers with Orphean (Orphean)

by Sjef @, Friday, August 18, 2006, 17:11 (6453 days ago)

After listening to my DEQX/JBL/PHY-HP/AMT based open baffle system for over three years now and loved and hated them for several reasons I think it's time for a change. I Lately became very interested in the newer Orphean horn system. Only drawback is that the system is simply way too big for my living room, wel it's actually "our" living room since I don't live there alone.

I was wondering if the Orphean horns could be combinated with a smaller woofer system like for example a 12" PHL driver wich can go as low as 30 Hz in a 65 liter reflex enclosure. I do like the sound of the PHL drivers a lot but I don't know if they will be a good partner for the Orphean horns.

Tags:

Smaller woofers with Orphean

by Bert @, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 12:03 (6452 days ago) @ Sjef

Hi Sjef,

I was wondering if the Orphean horns could be combinated with a smaller
woofer system like for example a 12" PHL driver wich can go as low as 30
Hz in a 65 liter reflex enclosure. I do like the sound of the PHL drivers
a lot but I don't know if they will be a good partner for the Orphean
horns.

In principle you can use any bass system capable of playing well up to 400-500Hz in combination with the Orphean or Oris horns. If you like what the PHL driver is doing in the bass then it will work well for your situation.

However, most 12"-15" woofers that play down to 30Hz in a relative small enclosure usually have a relative high moving mass being less articulated in the mid-bass. I do not know in what kind of system you've heard those drivers though but the relative low crossover frequency (220Hz in combination with the Orphean) is probably lower, the sound will be even better then.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by Sjef @, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 15:12 (6452 days ago) @ Sjef

I have heard the PHL's several times in a friends DIY system in combination with a ATC mid dome and a Focal Audiom TD5 tweeter crossed at around 500 Hz and I'm familiar with PHL drivers from my own small speaker system (PHL 1220 with Focal Audiom TLR tweeters, a little bit nervous in the midrange but otherise a pretty good small system) and via my work as sound engineer because they are used in several (good quality) PA systems. My friend used to have ETON bass drivers and compared to them the PHL have got a more lively sound and more "punch", the ETON's are too much "hifi" to my taste.

As far as I understand the Orphean comes with a passive crossover. Is it possible to omit the 220Hz high pass section of this crossover to let my DEQX do the crossover at line level ?

I know you are not that fond of the DEQX but I really like what it does in correcting flaws of the speaker units and the room interaction, stereo image improves a lot that way, altough I must admit that the DEQX is not the last word on transparancy it has made my system more listenable even with low quality MP3's. And besides that it has cost me a small fortune and has replaced my dac and preamp and I'm not looking for a complete system replacement again.

Tags:

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 09, 2007, 12:14 (6309 days ago) @ Sjef

Hi Sjef,

As far as I understand the Orphean comes with a passive crossover. Is it possible to omit the 220Hz high pass section of this crossover to let my DEQX do the crossover at line level ?

The Orphean can be omitted without any filter and even without the modified driver. The system is either tuned the way I want them to sound (that includes the 220Hz crossover point) or your own tuning. This means that you also have to DEQX the tweeter part of the driver...

Here is a direct link to the related prices which were published on this forum before.

http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=10722

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread