Oris horn and room acoustics (Oris Horns)

by JohnS' @, Monday, November 13, 2006, 00:45 (6372 days ago)

Bert, and others, can you tell me how sensitive the Oris is for room effects? I guess horns are more directional so room effect are less important. Is this right?

My listening/living room is quite big (14.25 by 4.25 by 3.90 meter) and scarcely furnished. Also there are no carpets on the wooden floor. We don't like to change this. Do Oris horns match this kind of, acoustically, not ideal room?

The speakers I use today (Fostex full range + La Scala bass units) don't sound bad at all in the 'hot seat' but for the rest of the room, especially further away from the speakers, the sound is kind of 'fuzzy'.

John.

Tags:

Oris horn and room acoustics

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Monday, November 13, 2006, 09:56 (6372 days ago) @ JohnS'

Hi John,

... can you tell me how sensitive the Oris is for room
effects? I guess horns are more directional so room effect are less
important. Is this right?

Yes, that would be right. It differs quite a lot. In fact so much that I am trying to create reflections. :wacko: But then I don't have a wooden floor. However, the room is a tad larger than yours (288 m3), and in fact there are quite some hard reflecting materials (like glass and metal) on the opposite side.

Do Oris horns match this kind of, acoustically, not ideal room?

The best of all speaker types I would say. Of course you would loose a bit of the super sterile sound which can come from them in a completely damped room, but it is exactly that I don't like the best. That's personal of course.
With a fair amount of reflections you, IMO, won't appreciate this as more fuzzy but as more live like. Hard to explain, but do note that the reflections from a horn are very different from a, say, 180 degrees spreading speaker; all the energy is beamed towards the sweetspot (which will be a few meters "long") and the only real reflections you might suffer from is those from the back (which is rather far away from you).
Even the floor will be difficult to play a role to the respect of reflections, though that depends a bit on the distance to the (nearest) sweetspot (and of course how high you mount the Oris).

Regards,
Peter

Tags:

Oris horn and room acoustics

by Bert @, Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 09:05 (6370 days ago) @ JohnS'

Hi John,

Bert, and others, can you tell me how sensitive the Oris is for room effects? I guess horns are more directional so room effect are less important. Is this right?

Yes. It won't remove the "fuzzyness" of the room but the effect of this will be much less. You will be able to create an optimal listening spot in the room where the fuzzyness is the least present thus having a clear and clean image of the recording.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread