cross over for Oris 150 (Oris Horns)

by OTLamp @, Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 17:37 (6363 days ago)

Hi

I am using 2A3 SET to drive my Oris 150 with AER MD3, but i would like to try using Berning ZOTL headphone amp to driver it. Would it have any advantage if I use a cross over to cut off certain bass frequency for the headphone amp? If so what is the best cut off frequency? my room's acoustics support down to 50Hz and drop sharply below that.

Regards

Lindsey

Tags:

cross over for Oris 150

by Bert @, Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 19:37 (6363 days ago) @ OTLamp

Hi Lindsey,

I am using 2A3 SET to drive my Oris 150 with AER MD3, but i would like to try using Berning ZOTL headphone amp to driver it. Would it have any advantage if I use a cross over to cut off certain bass frequency for the headphone amp? If so what is the best cut off frequency? my room's acoustics support down to 50Hz and drop sharply below that.

Most power is used for the lower fequencies so yes, it would help the amp to deliver. Best would be to cross 2 octaves below the horn's frequency with first order but better would be to go 2nd order at 100Hz. This will change the phase at the crossover frequency though so new tuning will be needed (and probably flipping the phase of the horn).

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

cross over for Oris 150

by soundcheck @, Germany, Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 20:18 (6363 days ago) @ Bert

Hi folks.

What I just did with my T-AMP, which is running my mids/highs only:

I just replaced the Input-Coupling Cap of the AMP to 0,05uf instead of 2,7uF on a 20k Input giving me an fg of 160Hz if I calculated it right..

No extra phase shift - no extra parts!
You can use much smaller, crispier and much cheaper high-quality caps.

I used Blackgate non polar in Super-E (had them around - usually use them for bypassing stuff - never thought of using it as coupling cap) :grin: .
I've thrown out a Mundorf Silver/Gold for now.
The differnce is not that obvious. Though I did not change back yet. I'll wait 100hours of break-in.

Just calculate your crossover point by taking the Input Impedance
and your Crossover Frequency -- here we go.

I think this is a great tweak. Your AMP and fullrange driver will love it!

Klaus

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread