Loads of questions (Orphean)

by purplepleaser @, Manchester, U.K, Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 23:43 (6303 days ago)

Hi everyone,

I am researching the the Orphean Ultra speakers.

I have done a search but have not found some of the answers i need.
Is it possible to add the bass horn at a later date.

First my living room is approx 14ftx12ftx8ft, laminate flooring, rugs etc.

I will be using cd and vinyl

I really need to find out the overall dimensions including the horns.

I listen to a wide variety of music from Dance,Rock,Funk, Soul,Grime,Dub step and complete weird and wonderful stuff from Aphex Twin,Squarepusher, Vex'd.
Do you think my music tastes are okay for these speakers or will i miss the point of sensitive horns speakers with my drum and bass music.

I would really like to listen to a pair of these speakers or similar, i am just wondering if any one uses these in the U.K and is near Manchester so i could have a listen.

Thanks for reading and i hope you could answer a few of the questions.

Lee:grin:

Tags:

Loads of questions

by Bert @, Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 10:26 (6302 days ago) @ purplepleaser

Hi Lee,

Is it possible to add the bass horn at a later date.

Yes, but then you'll have to built the Basic bass enclosure and not the Compact.

I really need to find out the overall dimensions including the horns.

The drawings for the bass enclosures can be found at the Download section:

http://www.bd-design.nl/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d1.html

The Orphean is 60cm deep, the Basic enclosure with horn in front of the bass is also about 60cm deep and the total heigth (from top of the Orphean horn to floor) will be close to 140cm.

Do you think my music tastes are okay for these speakers or will i miss
the point of sensitive horns speakers with my drum and bass music.

It doesn't matter what type of music you have with the Orphean Ultra, they "eat" all types of music... :grin:

I would really like to listen to a pair of these speakers or similar, i am
just wondering if any one uses these in the U.K and is near Manchester so i
could have a listen.

In the UK there is only one pair of Orpheans present and that system is in the building up stage but almost done as far as I know.

There are more Oris based systems around there but these are only based on full-range drivers.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Loads of questions

by GC, Wednesday, January 17, 2007, 13:37 (6302 days ago) @ purplepleaser

Hi Lee

I listen to a wide variety of music from Dance,Rock,Funk, Soul,Grime,Dub
step and complete weird and wonderful stuff from Aphex Twin,Squarepusher,
Vex'd.
Do you think my music tastes are okay for these speakers or will i miss
the point of sensitive horns speakers with my drum and bass music.

I listen to this kind of music as well on my SWINGs. And you bet the Orpheans reply accordingly. :cool:
Like any other kind of music the Orpheans let it pass through to you. I am sure if Aphex Twin heard their own music through a pair of Orpheans, they would be surpriced. :good:

I would really like to listen to a pair of these speakers or similar, i am
just wondering if any one uses these in the U.K and is near Manchester so i
could have a listen.

My doors are always open to serious listeners. You are welcome to Belgrade. Flight ticket is a couple of 100 pounds + accomodation.
But maybe Nunspeet is a little more convenient from Manchester.

Best wishes
GC

Tags:

Loads of questions

by purplepleaser @, Manchester, U.K, Wednesday, January 24, 2007, 18:50 (6295 days ago) @ GC

Hi Guys,

thanks for the information.

I am worried about the size of the Orphean speakers. What are the width of the horns and how deep are they.

I am also wondering if my room is too small for these. I have been told i may have interaction problems due to being to close to them.

I can't find the sizes on the forum or main site,sorry if they are there:blush:

In your experience would a smaller version of your speakers be better suited to my room

Thanks for reading

Lee(confused in Manchester)

Tags:

Loads of questions

by purplepleaser @, Manchester, U.K, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 00:50 (6290 days ago) @ purplepleaser

Hi

I have been doing some thinking. Can you use the Orphean Compact bass enclosure with the bass speaker firing to sideways instead to the front.

Also can you seprate the horn and the bass unit. Sort of like a surround sound system.

Are the Orphean horns bigger or smaller than the Oris horns.

Sorry to ask for advice again

Lee

Tags:

Loads of questions

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 09:22 (6289 days ago) @ purplepleaser

Hi Lee,

I have been doing some thinking. Can you use the Orphean Compact bass
enclosure with the bass speaker firing to sideways instead to the front.

Yes, but how much negative effect this will have with the integration is something you have to test in your living.

Also can you seprate the horn and the bass unit. Sort of like a surround
sound system.

The horns are normally placed on a stand on top of the bass enclosure, taking them away too far from the bass does not do much good to the overall integration. I have seen people using only one pair of horns and one bass system in the center and seem pretty much satisfied with the results.

Are the Orphean horns bigger or smaller than the Oris horns.

The Orphean is (assembled) similar in size as the other Oris 250 horns, the diameter of the mouth for all is 55cm. The Oris 200 is a bit larger with 59cm in diameter and the 150 is the biggest with 78cm mouth diameter.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Loads of questions

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 10:09 (6289 days ago) @ purplepleaser

Hi Lee,

I have been doing some thinking. Can you use the Orphean Compact bass
enclosure with the bass speaker firing to sideways instead to the front.

Personally I wouldn't do that. Bass waves (in this case up to 220Hz) are more directional than your experiences (might) tell you so far. :eek:

With proper playback and your situation not lacking from standing waves this can easily be heard with the proper music, already with a pair of subwoofers and, say, 24Hz tones. In the case of the BD15, which is not a subwoofer and explicity made for music though going as low as straight to 25Hz (as measured in my room in SWING enclosure), things are even MUCH more profound;

Bass tones now are really coming from left(ish) and right(ish) once they are in the music, hence radiating them sideways for sure won't do good already for the matter of the "directional" waves reflecting the walls directly. I did'nt try it, but I bet it destroys the "deep down from the earth" bass the BD15 is known for (this is not just low bass, but it is able to separate bass string waves, and even bass chords I never heard from another speaker).

HTH,
Peter

Tags:

Loads of questions

by purplepleaser @, Manchester, U.K, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 18:26 (6289 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hello

Thanks for your replies

I would really like to try the Orphean speakers, i have just got to get past the size of them literally.:grin:

I have another couple of question:blush:

Are the bass amplifiers an extra cost, and how do you connect the bass amplifers into your system. Is it taken from the horns cabling or from the pre amp.

I am a complete thicko and a novice at this Hifi game

Lee

Tags:

Loads of questions

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 20:36 (6289 days ago) @ purplepleaser

Dear Lee,

I would really like to try the Orphean speakers, i have just got to get
past the size of them literally.

The Orpheans are not big, compared to the Oris 150's these are babies...

Are the bass amplifiers an extra cost, and how do you connect the bass
amplifers into your system. Is it taken from the horns cabling or from the
pre amp.

From the horns cabling.... do read this page:

http://www.bd-design.nl/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d89.html

It explains (I hope) the principle used a bit more.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Loads of questions

by purplepleaser @, Manchester, U.K, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 21:02 (6289 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert

Thanks for replying

I am starting to understand these Ophean speakers now.

I have also seen that the Active amps are extra.

I am currently using Townshend speaker cable http://www.townshendaudio.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&...

Would i just connect the filter to the ends by soldering them and a seperate cable to the active bass amps.

cheers
Lee

Tags:

Loads of questions

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 21:10 (6289 days ago) @ purplepleaser

Hi Lee,

Would i just connect the filter to the ends by soldering them and a
seperate cable to the active bass amps.

You can use relative simple and stripped wires screwed "under" the Orphean connectors and use the banana plugs of your present cable to plug them into the same connectors. No need to solder anything...

Or tap the signal from the back of the main amplifier and go from there to the bass amplifier and filter.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Loads of questions

by purplepleaser @, Manchester, U.K, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 21:17 (6289 days ago) @ Bert

Cheers

Making more sense by the minute.

I bet you can not wait for the next set of silly questions.:read: the website says everyone:blush:

Lee:grin:

Tags:

Loads of questions

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 23:49 (6289 days ago) @ purplepleaser

the website says everyone :blush:

Yeah, I should change that line! I wish I had some more time to work on the new website... :wink:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Loads of questions

by purplepleaser @, Manchester, U.K, Wednesday, January 31, 2007, 00:16 (6289 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert

That was pointed a me not the website, sorry if you felt offended.

Lee:blush:

Tags:

Loads of questions

by Bert @, Wednesday, January 31, 2007, 09:22 (6288 days ago) @ purplepleaser

Hi Lee,

I was just kidding... keep on coming with questions if you need to know more!

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread