Beyma 15" LX60 in combination with orpheans ? (Orphean)

by angeloitacare, Monday, February 26, 2007, 17:11 (6259 days ago)

Hi all

i got a deal at ebay for a pair of Beyma 15"LX60 (us$75,00 each), and decide to try them out in combination with the Orphean's. I did not find any recommendations in the net for cabinet size , vented or sealed etc.
Any recomendations ?

rds Angelo

here the spec's:

Resonant Frequency, fs 35 Hz

D.C. Voice Coil Resistance, Re 5.5 ohms.

Mechanical Quality Factor, Qms 8.7

Electrical Quality Factor, Qes 0.36

Total Quality Factor, Qts 0.35

Equivalent Air Volume to Cms, Vas 215 l

Mechanical Compliance, Cms 175 µm/N

Mechanical Resistance, Rms 2.9 kg/s

Efficiency, ço (%) 2.3

Effective Surface Area, Sd (m2) 0.091 m2

Maximum Displacement, Xmax 9 mm.

Displacement Volume, Vd 820 cm.3

Voice Coil Inductance, Le @ 1kHz 1.2 mH

Tags:

Beyma 15" LX60 in combination with orpheans ?

by GC, Monday, February 26, 2007, 18:07 (6259 days ago) @ angeloitacare
edited by GC, Monday, February 26, 2007, 19:26

Hi all

i got a deal at ebay for a pair of Beyma 15"LX60 (us$75,00 each), and
decide to try them out in combination with the Orphean's. I did not find
any recommendations in the net for cabinet size , vented or sealed etc.
Any recomendations ?

rds Angelo

Hi Angelo

I thought you made your cab's for the BD15's?

The ones you just bought are very different ones and you will propably have to calculate a new cabinet and afterwords tuning everything to it's optimum. :wink:
Some experimental cab's to be made, for sure...:pleasantry:

And then Angelo: You have to decide wether to make a closed cabinet or any kind of open ones. What do you like the most? They sound very different.
The driver will work with both principles if some precautions are taken, however I have no idea what so ever how those drivers are sounding.

Well you see there are namly two things + you should decide about before you get going:

1) Closed, eventially aperiodic vented. You will need an electonical equalisation before main amp of the driver as the Qt is a little low for closed cab's. The cab has in this case to be pretty big.
If you don't wan't to equalize, the resulting Q should be between 0,6 and 0,7 to feel the bass. It requires a relative small cab and then the cut off will be pretty high. I.E. f3 60 Hz (just a wild guess). So maybe better to forget that...eih?

2) Vented or BR, the driver suits a little better with it's TS parameters.
Her you could experiment your self to death if you don't have any advisers.
But I don't think you would need an equalisation before the amp in this case.
This due to the relatively high moving mass.
Bert's BD 15's benefits from an EQ as his moving mass is relatively low leading to the need of a relative big cab. This driver is much faster than yours and all in all a far better driver in all respect. Underhung VC, Neodymium mag etc etc. I say that, even I should not. Who can say how it sound without having heard it? But in this case I can, just from the construction of your drivers, say that.
Now you can consider your roll off frequncy. This has to be fixed. You have to determine the many ways of making vented cabs. Should it be BR or slotted back or ....? The Q of the cab and the ports has to be set low or high as per preferences. And finally also the placement of the ports. That makes quite some difference.
All this just for one given volume of the cab. If you change volume it's all over from the beginning again.
Then internal bracings has to be considered as well. Will you have an open hollow cavity or will you use a cellular system? Then you have to calculate the damping material used and it's qualities.

So the bottom line is, hard work my friend....:heat:

GC

Tags:

by angeloitacare, Monday, February 26, 2007, 19:50 (6259 days ago) @ GC

hi GC

i heard Avantgarde Duos at CES, they use the same driver, but 2x 12" version. I loved its sound: fullbodied, and going deep. Not so fast, it's true, may i wont be able to match it with the orpheans because of that. Anyway, i want to try it out. They use it in sealed cabinet. I don't know at what point their electronic influences the result.
It's a good suggestion: i can make a very cheap cabinet and experiment around, before making a nice one.

rds Angelo

Tags:

Keep on dreaming...

by Bert @, Monday, February 26, 2007, 20:09 (6259 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Angelo,

i heard Avantgarde Duos at CES, they use the same driver, but 2x 12"
version. I loved its sound: fullbodied, and going deep. Not so fast, it's

They use the same driver BUT ????

Why did you buy a 15" version? Why didn't you buy one type of the many 12" drivers Beyma has? They all sound "the same" according to you and with the same size you can be "sure" that you will get the same sound.

Keep on dreaming... :fool:

Did you already try the filter I suggested you for the K-horns?

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Keep on dreaming...

by angeloitacare, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 01:03 (6259 days ago) @ Bert

hi Bert

i will get the filters only in abought two weeks. I want to try out these Beymas, as i got a deal at ebay, just to satisfie my curiosity. If they dont please me, i sell them on mercadolivre with profit ( brazilian ebay). Not a big deal....

rds Angelo

Tags:

Keep on dreaming...

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 10:00 (6259 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Hi Angelo,

Okay, have fun playing around...

Some exercise is always good to learn things.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by GC, Monday, February 26, 2007, 20:13 (6259 days ago) @ angeloitacare
edited by GC, Monday, February 26, 2007, 21:31

Hi Angelo

i heard Avantgarde Duos at CES, they use the same driver, but 2x 12"
version. I loved its sound: fullbodied, and going deep. Not so fast, it's
true, may i wont be able to match it with the orpheans because of that.
Anyway, i want to try it out. They use it in sealed cabinet. I don't know
at what point their electronic influences the result.

Well at least speed have a priority with the Orpheans. If the driver is slower, it has to start earlier in the time domain. Bigger displacement between the O's and the bass.

Another "Well", if the Avantgarde uses 12" drivers and you felt them to be slow. How is it then going to work out with a 15" with 120 grams of moving mass and a rather poor magnet gap? Ferrit magnets are big and impressive to look at, but you caNot make a fieldstrength in the gap of more than 1,6 T regardless how clean iron they use for the ancor and pole pieces.
That's similar to eqiup a 3,5 tons Rolls Royce with a 988 cc Fiat engine.

It's a good suggestion: i can make a very cheap cabinet and experiment
around, before making a nice one.

You will have to make many cab's I think, but that's where all the fun is :wink:

As to my comments in the previous thread about your new cab, and that look good to me, I strongly recomend you to spend a little money on consultancy. What is the point throwing in a couple of cheap e-bay drivers and "Plug & Pray"
The Orpheans needs...no deserves the very best. And the BD 15's are the best in this case. :grin:

GC

Tags:

by GC, Monday, February 26, 2007, 22:08 (6259 days ago) @ angeloitacare
edited by GC, Monday, February 26, 2007, 22:12

Hey..Angelo

Got it for you.

The http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/detalle.php?id=18 already made the dish for you.

Predicted low frequency response:

Note: Bass reflex cabinet Vb=120 l, Fb = 42Hz!!!!!!!

I new those guys just had a "take away" solution!

GC

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread