Singular Fostex Phase plugs - again. (Singular)

by MikeH @, Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 10:39 (6240 days ago)
edited by unknown, Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 10:48

Phase plug not fitted because he didn't have the screw thread at the

time.

That should not be used either, I do not see a front horn.... :no:

Bert

My Fostex 207 drivers have not arrived yet. I was going to make and fit some wooden phase plugs immediately. Is this recommendation only for the AER drivers?
Elsewhere on the forum this has been done to the Fostex 206 with good results.
Improved off-axis sound would be nice but what is the bad side of fitting phase plugs?

My untrained (but still good to 20kHz) ears listened to a set of singulars with AER Mk1 with and without phase plugs, they certainly widened the sweet spot and the mid-highs sounded "meatier" with them. But was it clearer??

I'd prefer to listen to the more correct sound, I always bypass Eq, loudness and tone controls unless something sounds very wrong. To me it's like throwing cheap tomato sauce all over a meal a chef has carefully prepared.

Tags:

Singular Fostex Phase plugs - again.

by Bert @, Thursday, March 22, 2007, 09:39 (6238 days ago) @ MikeH

Hi Mike,

My Fostex 207 drivers have not arrived yet. I was going to make and fit
some wooden phase plugs immediately. Is this recommendation only for the
AER drivers?

The Fostex will benifit from removing the dust gap as major thing. This gives freedom to the sound usually travelling from the coil at high frequencies.

Those Fostex drivers are not constructed to work optimally with the dust cover removed, to prevent cancellation you'll need that phase plug in them.

On the long run those AER drivers sound better without the phase plugs. On axis they seem to perform better sounding more clear but off-axis their performance is highly reduced. You should listen to AER drivers used in baffle loaded systems (like the Singular) 5-10 degrees off-axis having a rather smooth response.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread